Cooper's time 'is coming'

Spurrier focuses on staying positive

A defensive back turned wide receiver, freshman Pharoh Cooper may find himself playing more of a role for South Carolina beginning next week at Arkansas.

The change started with Saturday’s game against Kentucky, where the North Carolina native caught one pass for 12 yards and ran twice for a total of 26 yards out of the Wildcat formation.

Cooper could make more appearances in that formation, and don’t be surprised if he attempts a pass or two. Cooper was a state championship-winning quarterback in high school.

“I think (Pharoh) is a real ball player,” coach Steve Spurrier said. “I think his time is coming here.”

Spurrier also said after the game that there is a “good chance” that Cooper may be both the kick and punt returner for the team.

The Gamecocks had another turnover on a kick-off return, and punt returner Victor Hampton netted zero yards on two punt returns.

“I just think he is a reliable player; I really do,” Spurrier said. “He’s a good kid, and he does everything you ask. Look for Pharoh to be more involved with our team.”

Shaw vs. Thompson

Earlier in the week, Spurrier said that quarterback Dylan Thompson would come in to play the third or fourth possession of the game against the Wildcats.

He came in on the fourth possession, after senior Connor Shaw led three touchdown drives, and he was unable to do much against the heavy pressure that Kentucky sent his way.

It resulted in the Gamecocks’ first and only punt of the night.

On seven drives led by Shaw, the Gamecocks scored four touchdowns and two field goals. While the offense stalled on the Thompson drive, Spurrier said that the junior is not to blame.

“Let me tell you what, the gates were opened on him twice, and there were guys open on both plays,” Spurrier said. “But he didn’t have a chance. We messed up a couple of pass protections somehow.”

It is rare that a team has only one punt on the night and wins by only seven points, Spurrier said.

“I told someone, ‘This is the first time I coached an offense that scored (six out of eight) possessions — and the other possession ran out the clock at the end of the game — and had no turnovers on offense, and we … barely won the game,’” Spurrier said. “But it is what it is.”

Staying positive

A week after receiving heat from himself and others for his negativity surrounding the game at Central Florida last weekend, Spurrier made a conscious effort to take a positive tone.

“I’m not going to be negative today,” Spurrier said. “I told myself, ‘Quit being negative.’ I hope I haven’t been too negative so far; I’m just giving facts out. Our guys, I think, are trying. Some of them aren’t trying the right way; some of them are doing their own crap. I’m not going to mention any names, but y’all watched it.”

When Spurrier began to drift into negativity, he quickly pointed out that the team won and that it had a decent record.

“We’re still 4-1, and we’re happy, and nobody is negative,” Spurrier said. “We just have some work to do, and we’ll go from there.”