In Brief: Oct. 16, 2013

Graham campaign raises over $1.17 million

U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham’s campaign has more money now than it has ever had, after raising $1.17 million from July to September, The State reported.

According to Graham’s campaign, Graham has more than $6.9 million on hand.

In the same period, U.S. Sen. Tim Scott brought his cash-on-hand total to $2.87 million after raising $762,000.

This marks the third quarter in a row that Graham has raised more than $1.1 million.

Graham started out the quarter with $6.3 million, continued on to raise $1.17 million and spent approximately $533,000.

Graham will face three Republican challengers in a primary, including state Sen. Lee Bright, R-Spartanburg; Nancy Mace, the first woman to graduate from The Citadel; and Richard Cash, who previously ran for Congress.

State Fair changes age restrictions

Headed to the fair? Starting tonight, you might need to show ID.

Starting tonight, anyone under 18 years old will be have to be accompanied by a parent after 7 p.m., The State reported. People over 18 may be required to present a photo ID.

Previously, the S.C. State Fair required visitors under 16 years old to be accompanied by a parent after 5 p.m.

State Fair manager Gary Goodman told the newspaper that this will cost the fair money, but safety of fairgoers is of greater importance.

“We don’t want to have anything happen like another Five Points at the fair,” Goodman said, in reference to the Sunday morning shooting that left a USC freshman paralyzed from the hips down.

Richland County deputy fired after assault charge

A Richland County deputy was fired after he was charged with assault for putting a woman in handcuffs at a Columbia restaurant, The State reported.

Paul Derrick, 49, was fired by Sheriff Leon Lott after meeting with prosecutors and Columbia’s interim police chief Tuesday.

Derrick was arrested by Columbia police last week after he was captured on a cellphone video putting a woman in handcuffs and reprimanding her.

Derrick had worked for the department for 14 years and had previously worked for the Columbia Fire Department.

Lott is expcted to speak more extensively about firing Derrick today.