In Brief: October 30, 2013

Couple charged with cooking meth near children
Police say two people in Enoree ran a meth lab with their two children nearby, FOX Carolina reported.
The Lauren’s County Sheriff’s Office was conducting a child neglect investigation, when deputies found the operation on two properties the couple owns near the town, which is about 20 miles south of Spartanburg.
Barabara Beck and Robert Beck Jr. are being detained in connection with the operation.
Each is charged with unlawful disposal of methamphetamine, two counts of unlawful neglect toward a child, two counts of manufacturing methamphetamine and two counts of manufacturing methamphetamine in presence of a child.

Chamber of Commerce president dies at 69
Ike McLeese, the president and CEO of the Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce, died Tuesday at 69, according to The State and WLTX.
On Sept. 5, McLeese suffered a heart attack. About two weeks ago, he had follow-up heart surgery.
After leading the chamber for 19 years, McLeese was expected to retire this coming December.
“We are deeply saddened at the loss,” said chamber Chairman Holt Chetwood.
According to McLeese’s biography on the chamber’s website, he is credited with making the organization financially stable and bringing it out of a nearly $4 million debt.

South Carolina to host presidential hopefuls
U.S. Sens. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, and Rand Paul, R-Kentucky, who are thought to be likely presidential hopefuls, will travel to South Carolina once again in November, according to The State.
Cruz will speak at the S.C. Renewal Project Pastors’ Policy Briefing this coming Monday and Tuesday at the DoubleTree on Bush River Road. This is Cruz’s second trip this year to South Carolina; he was the keynote speaker at the GOP Silver Elephant Dinner in May.
Paul will visit the state for the third visit this year, when he will attend a lunch at Charleston’s Harbour Club on Nov. 11. The event will benefit county Republican Party groups and the state party’s legal fund.
Paul attended a meeting of conservatives in January and a fundraising barbecue in Dixiana in June.