Local no-kill shelter in danger of closing

After going home for winter break during her second year at USC, Emma Robl decided to foster a dog from West Columbia no-kill animal shelter Pets Inc. When she brought home Sarah Bell, a 10-year-old Labrador retriever, hound and bearded collie mix, she realized she had her work cut out for her.

Sarah Bell was abused for years by her former owners, and her teeth were filed down, so she could not fight back against them. Her body was covered in scabs and sores. She was afraid of strangers, especially men, and the first time Robl saw her, Sarah Bell’s whole body shook with fear.

“It took a long time, putting her in uncomfortable positions until she could be less fearful and more relaxed,” the fourth-year biology student said. “In that way, the college lifestyle helped her — all the new people going in and out of our apartment. She had to adjust.”

After a year and a half with Robl, Sarah Bell was adopted. Robl is now on her fourth foster dog, a 6-year-old Labrador retriever mix named Lucy.

After successfully fostering dogs in need, Robl wanted to get more students involved. She applied for and received a grant through the Carolina Leadership Initiative and started Funding Fosters, a group of 10 students whose foster-related bills, including apartment fees and food, are paid for. Fifteen students applied for the foster funding, 10 were chosen.

“I wanted quality, not quantity,” Robl said.

The group meets regularly to discuss the progress of their foster pets, and many bring their dogs along to help socialize them. But recently, the focus of the group has shifted slightly.

“One of the founders of Pets Inc. called me up on my birthday, saying they needed emergency homes for two cats and one dog or else they’d have to be put down,” Robl said. “She told me that because they are in tens of thousands of dollars in debt, they will have make the decision whether to close the shelter, and they would make that decision within 60 days.”

That was about three weeks ago. Since then, Robl has been reaching out to other student organizations for donations and planning events to raise money for the shelter before its 60-day deadline runs out.

Robl spoke to student senate last week about Funding Fosters and her efforts to save Pets Inc. She suggested they do a dress-down meeting at which senators would pay a few dollars to wear casual clothes; she has also suggested this to multiple fraternities and sororities.

Recently, Pets Inc. has been filled past capacity with animals in need of homes, Robl said.

“People will find a dog or a cat and bring them in, and they’re told, ‘Sorry, we don’t have any more room,’” Robl said. “But some people will come and dump the animal at night. That’s one of the main reasons they’re having so many issues.”

Lucy, who has heartworms and legs covered in scabs, was one of more than 20 dogs dumped on Pets Inc.’s doorstep in only one night. Once the animals are left there, the shelter tries to find foster homes for them. When they can’t, resources at the half-staffed shelter are stretched even thinner than they already are.

However, if Pets Inc. is forced to close, none of the animals currently there will be put down or sent to kill shelters.

“None of the animals are in danger,” Robl said. “They won’t close their doors until every animal is adopted.”

But once the decision is made, no new animals will be accepted.

“It’s really sad to think about. 11,000 animals are already euthanized annually in Columbia,” Robl said. “Pets Inc. does 4,000 adoptions and 7,000 spays per year. Without them, the population’s going to skyrocket. The kill shelters will be very, very busy.”

To keep that from happening, Robl plans to hold several fundraising events for Pets Inc. While dates haven’t been nailed down yet, she plans on bringing a rent-a-dog day to campus for students to pay to take adoptable dogs out for a few hours. She has also ordered T-shirts to sell on Greene Street, and the profits will go to the shelter.

“The biggest thing Pets Inc. needs right now is money and a sustainable source of money,” Robl said. “I want to help them get there.”