Fraternity, sorority leaders chosen

Stewart, Jones elected Greek council presidents

Eighteen members of USC’s Greek community were elected to the fraternity and sorority councils this week.

Third-year students Paige Jones of Alpha Chi Omega sorority and Andrew Stewart of Sigma Chi fraternity were elected to lead the fraternity and sorority communities as council presidents.

“I hope to work closely with many student organizations on campus to increase Greek involvement in a wide variety of events, while also encouraging outside involvement for Greek-sponsored programming,” Jones, a marketing and management student, wrote in an email.

Jones, along with eight other council members, will represent the more than 3,000 members of the sorority community. The council aims to plan community-wide programs, promote scholarship and uphold community standards.

Stewart, a finance and marketing student, will represent the fraternity population, which consists of about 1,400 members.

“I hope that this Fraternity Council will create an environment that inspires conversation about our community’s vision, supports our undergraduate students, recruits the highest quality of men and women and makes available to them endless amount of opportunities that will create the leaders our world so desperately needs,” Stewart wrote in an email.

Stewart has served as Fraternity Council’s vice president of programming since January, while Jones served as the Panhellenic president of Alpha Chi Omega over the same period.

“I had the opportunity to look up to the president of Sorority Council for advice and guidance,” Jones wrote. “It gave me a chance to be on the opposite side of things before stepping into this role, hopefully giving the position a fresh outlook.”

There are currently about than 5,000 members in the fraternity and sorority community, accounting for more than 21 percent of USC’s population.

The 18 new officers will be installed Monday.