In brief: November 8, 2013

Possibly pregnant great white recorded off coast

Mary Lee, the great white shark, was recorded swimming approximately 25 miles east of Hunting Island near Beaufort, according to The Post and Courier.

This past Wednesday, Mary Lee was making her way up the Coosaw River delta in St. Helena Sound.

Ever since September of last year, when she was tagged off the coast of Cape Cod, Mass., Mary Lee has been making her way up and down the East Coast, swimming her way down to Bermuda and back up.

Some researchers have speculated that Mary Lee may be pregnant, as the two-ton shark continues to peruse the coastline and thousands follow her progress online.

Officer avoids jail time after staged shooting

A former North Charleston police officer avoided jail time after a staged shooting last year, The Post and Courier reported.

Following the July 4, 2012, shooting, 48-year-old Sgt. Eddie Bullard was charged with misconduct in office and faced up to a year of jail time.

However, the Ninth Circuit Solicitor’s Office dropped the charge in August after Bullard pleaded guilty to a charge of reporting false information to police and paid a $159 fine, according to court records.

Neither the State Law Enforcement Division nor North Charleston police wanted to see Bullard land in jail, so they decided the fine was a reasonable consequence, Assistant Solicitor Meg Sprinkle said.

“Neither NCPD nor SLED simply accepted Mr. Bullard’s version of what happened at face value,” Sprinkle said, according to the newspaper. “They realized very early on that his story did not add up, and they doggedly pursued and revealed its flaws.”

Homeless inmate throws rock to go back to jail

After being released from the Aiken County jail Wednesday, 37-year-old Eroll Davis threw a rock through the door of a business across the street and waited for police to arrest him, the Aiken Standard reported.

Davis was charged with malicious injury to property. He has been placed back in the detention center.

After throwing the rock into the A-1 Bonding & Enterprises Inc. building, Davis walked inside, grabbed a chair and took it outside to wait to be arrested.

According to Megan Doolittle, an employee at the business, Davis told police upon arrival, “I’m homeless, and I needed somewhere to go.”