Student awarded NASPA fellowship

Mitchell Hammonds was sitting in his car when he got word that he had been selected to be a part of the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators Undergraduate Fellows Program.

“I was actually in Greenville for fall break, sitting in the middle of traffic on my way to take my godson to his taekwondo practice when I got the email,” the fourth-year visual communications student said in an email. “It was one of those moments where life just stands still and you realize how great it is to be a student at a university that values students and their potential.”

NASPA is a professional organization for student affairs administration in higher education. Hammonds said he views the recognition as an opportunity to explore his options for working in student affairs.

“I’m preparing for a career in higher education and student affairs, and the undergraduate program with NASPA seemed like a great way for me to connect with others interested in the career as well as professionals,” Hammonds said.

The application process involved several essay questions, two letters of recommendation and approval from the university. Hammonds also had to select a mentor, so he chose Gavin Weiser, assistant director of multicultural student affairs, who will guide him while he learns about the profession.

Hammonds said he believes that the opportunities USC has offered him played a part in his selection for the program.

“The University of South Carolina is a great place for students to discover their potential and passions, and I’m very blessed for the opportunities that I have been given that have helped me get to where I am today,” he said.

As an undergraduate fellow, Hammonds will learn about student affairs as a profession while enjoying the benefits of being a NASPA member, which include attending several conferences throughout the year and networking with other undergraduate fellows across the country.

“I’m most looking forward to the networking opportunities that I will have as a fellow,” Hammonds said. “I love getting to meet new people and learn about what they do.”
Hammonds said he is looking forward to what he will gain from the NASPA Undergraduate Fellows Program.

“I hope to gain wisdom through the fellowship,” he said. “I’ve learned a lot in my time here at Carolina, but I get excited when thinking about all the knowledge that I can learn from others who are experienced in the field.”