Campus MovieFest returns to USC

Student filmmaking competition kicks off Feb. 4

The 13th annual Campus MovieFest will return to USC for its fourth visit on Feb. 4.

Campus MovieFest is an opportunity for students to make a short film in one week. The program provides professional high-definition cameras, other equipment, editing software and laptops and teaches participants how to use them. And it’s completely free.

Winners could receive $20,000 cash, exposure opportunities, Hollywood pitch meetings and other prizes. The top films nationally are also showcased in-flight on Virgin America and at the Cannes Film Festival Short Film Corner.

J.R. Hardman, tour manager for Campus MovieFest, said she encourages everyone, from undergradates to graduate students, to get involved.

“We have media arts majors, English majors, science majors do the contest. We’ve even had people change their major because they realized how much they liked making movies,” Hardman said.

Short films from all genres are accepted, but by entering the social justice category, students will be eligible to win up to $20,000 in cash grants. The Elfenworks Foundation is working with Campus MovieFest to encourage students to make films to spread awareness about social injustice, including poverty, homelessness and corruption, with the purpose of making a difference in the community.

“The Elfenworks social justice category is a great opportunity. Students can make their movies about whatever they want, but that specific category is awesome because it encourages people to try and make a change,” Hardman said.

CMF is lenient with regards to group sizes and submissions, so experimental and nontraditional takes on genres are eligible to win. Students are encouraged to make a film that inspires them.

“People shouldn’t be intimidated by Campus MovieFest; we provide technical support on campus all week, and first-time filmmakers have won things in the past. We’ll help students do anything from finding actors to writing their script. We’re absolutely there to give people advice,” Hardman said.

The Red Carpet Finale, when the short films will be screened for the public, will take place on Feb. 13.

Registration is online at http://www.campusmoviefest.com/users/sign_up.