Model U.N. makes return to campus

Bringing the Model United Nations back to USC has not been quick, and it has not been easy.

After a five-year absence, the program is returning to the Columbia campus. Michael Hall, a third-year history student, participated in Model U.N. at Clemson and was eventually elected president of the organization there.

When he came to USC, he said, he was shocked to find that there wasn’t a Model U.N. program and that there hadn’t been one for years. He was quick to make steps to reestablish Model U.N. as a student organization on the Columbia campus.

“It’s important to learn about it, and this is a great way to do that.” Hall said.
Model U.N., described on its national website as a program to “provide a diverse group of informed college/university students and faculty from all over the world a forum for addressing global concerns in a real world context,” has students debate real-world issues in a simulated U.N. setting.

Students generally represent one of a variety of actual U.N. member states in one of the international organization’s subcommittees. Such committees include the Disarmament and International Security Committee, the Economic and Financial Committee and the Human Rights Council.

Topics range from session to session, but they are usually rooted in current world affairs and real issues affecting member states of the U.N. Model U.N. conferences are held around the world, and most follow general U.N. protocol and decorum, to the extent that most international conferences are held in English, rather than the native language of the hosting country.

For students interested in politics and world affairs, Hall said Model U.N. is a great opportunity to participate in debates and speak with other students about their interests.

“You can also work on public speaking, compromising and interpersonal relations,” Hall said. “It’s a great way to practice and hone your skills.”

The USC team is just starting out, because problems with application forms, student signatures, constitutional issues and scheduling have, until now, kept Hall from fully organizing its few current members.

Discussions at the group’s first major organizational meeting on Wednesday focused primarily on getting the word out about Model U.N.’s reemergence on campus and increasing interest among students who already appreciate world affairs and public speaking.

“I’m just trying to do my best to get this group established as a good group to be in for those interested in world affairs,” Hall said.