USC cancels Wednesday classes

Winter storm prompts university to close for second day

The university announced Tuesday night that it will cancel classes Wednesday, again following the lead of Richland County government. Local schools, governments and the state legislature all be closed for the day.

The National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning for Columbia Tuesday night that ended at 9 a.m. Wednesday.

Though no classes will meet Wednesday, some campus services will remain open and will be operating under a modified schedule.

Dining: Bates Diner, Gibbes Court Bistro and Grand Market Place opened at 9 a.m. Other dining locations are closed.

Roads, parking: Greene Street will be closed to eastbound traffic this afternoon from Sumter Street to Bull Street, meaning the road will be closed for drivers headed toward Five Points.

The closure will allow cars parked in the Bull Street Garage to get out while the hill on Bull Street is closed to traffic. Cars can head up Bull toward Greene and turn left.

Drivers won’t be able to park in the Bull Street Garage during the closures, but they will be allowed to park in the Blossom Garage.

Drivers with parking spots assigned on the top floors of the Pendleton Street Garage will be allowed to park in the Senate Street Garage, Parking Services said in an email.

Gyms: The Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center is open from 9 a.m. to midnight.

The Blatt P.E. Center is following the lead of the university, so it is closed today.

Russell House: The university union is open today on its usual schedule, until midnight.

There are also movies showing at the theater all day today and in the afternoon tomorrow. There’s also free popcorn available.

The schedule:
3, 9 p.m.: “Easy A”
6 p.m.: “Wedding Crashers”

Athletics: The men’s basketball game against Texas A&M is still on for tonight. The Colonial Life Arena ticket office is closed until 4 p.m.

Greek Village: Members of fraternities and sororities living in Green Village will have their meals served at their houses, but others will eat in the Russell House Ballroom.

Lunch will be served Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., and dinner will be from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Students will need to bring their CarolinaCards to pick up their meals.

Library: The Thomas Cooper Library is closed today.

Thomson Student Health Center: The health center and counseling center opened until 3:30 p.m. In an emergency, students can call 803-777-4215 or 911.