USC Sumter dean announced, brings 20 years of experience

The new dean of the University of South Carolina Sumter, Michael Sonntag, will bring nearly 20 years of higher education experience to the position when he takes over on Feb. 1. His experience includes serving as chief academic officer at the University of Maine at Presque Isle since 2007.

Palmetto College Chancellor Susan Elkins announced his appointment on Jan. 17, and attributed Sonntag’s selection to his academic leadership paired with his demonstrated success in both campus and community relations.

“Dr. Sonntag has a vision of leading USC Sumter to greater heights, building on past successes while also initiating creative and innovative efforts,” Elkins said. “His many successes at both UMPI and Lander University in Greenwood, S.C., emphasize his leadership strengths in faculty and campus relations, accountability, strategic planning, external relationship building and securing resources. His inclusive and open leadership style will be a strong asset for the campus and community. We are delighted to have him as a member of the Palmetto College leadership team, providing leadership for USC Sumter.”

According to Sonntag, 46, Palmetto College’s access mission and community focus drew him to the dean’s position at USC Sumter.

“As a first-generation or ‘first-in-family’ college student, I am attracted to the access mission of regional campuses. The fact that USC Sumter focuses on serving the constituents of a particular area – literally ‘meeting them where they are’ – is very appealing to me,” Sonntag said. “I cannot think of a more enriching, more empowering and more liberating force than higher education. To be able to come together with a community to see that mission fulfilled is powerful. I want to be part of something like that.”