Animated action comedy sharp, witty

<p>Left to right: Wyldstyle (Elizabeth Banks), Emmet Brickowski (Chris Pratt) and Vitruvius (Morgan Freeman) satirize corporate America and blockbuster movies in this surprisingly subversive and funny movie based on a toy.</p>
Left to right: Wyldstyle (Elizabeth Banks), Emmet Brickowski (Chris Pratt) and Vitruvius (Morgan Freeman) satirize corporate America and blockbuster movies in this surprisingly subversive and funny movie based on a toy.

‘The Lego Movie’ among best recent action comedies

“The Lego Movie” is a whip-smart, silly animated action comedy made from Lego pieces that is funnier than anybody would ever think a film based on a toy would be. It is the best big studio animated film since “Toy Story 3,” which it owes a debt to, and the best action comedy since “The World’s End.”

Emmet Brickowoski (Chris Pratt) is an average Lego man who works in construction. He is a shining example of an ordinary citizen in his Lego city ruled by Lord Business (Will Ferrell). Like the Lego blocks that make up his entire surroundings, Emmet fits in perfectly with what his evil corporate overlords want the society to be. Emmet must follow the instructions of his worksite (and his life) and not put one block out of place. He buys oversized and overpriced coffee, watches the popular sitcom “Where Are My Pants?” and mindlessly sings the hit song “Everything Is Awesome.” At the end of a day of work, Emmet sees a cloaked figure rushing about the construction site, violating the all-important instructions. The figure (or one could say the figurine) in black is Wyldstyle (Elizabeth Banks), a rebel attempting to sabotage the system. She tells him that he has been chosen to lead the resistance against Lord Business. Good Cop/Bad Cop (Liam Neeson), the main henchmen of Lord Business, rushes in to thwart their attempts. That starts them on a hectic chase across the city until they transport back into the Old West, where they meet the Vitruvius (Morgan Freeman), a wizard-like combination of Dumbledore, Morpheus and Yoda who tells him the typical mumbo-gumbo those characters often relate in films.

Who knew a film based off of a toy of interlocking blocks could be the smartest, funniest comedy and genuinely best action film in months? The film is a meta deconstruction of the blockbuster, smashing its tropes, clichés and formulas into pieces. It is a perfect example of smart-stupid comedy. On the one hand, it is very silly and at times borderline absurdist, but it uses that comic anarchy for subversive and satirical reasons. The list of films it satirizes includes “Star Wars,” “Mission: Impossible” and “The Matrix” as well as being heavily influenced by “Toy Story” and George Orwell’s “Nineteen Eighty-Four.” It is ironic that a toy battling in the consumer market which comes with specific instructions is featured in a film that is wildly unpredictable and anti-conformist. The pace of the film is so rapid-fire that one would need to see it more than once to pick up all the visual gags, puns and references jam-packed onto the screen.

Even the animation itself is hilarious. A mix of stop motion and C.G.I. was used to create the intricately detailed world. Blocks and pieces are used for everything including smoke, water and fire. The inventiveness and playfulness of the animation make the action and comedy just that much more enjoyable. Do not be surprised to see it nominated for Best Animated Film next year at the Oscars.
Given that Legos are little hunks of plastic, one would think it would be impossible to make anything close to an action scene with the blocks, but somehow the filmmakers managed to make the action believable and rousing. The action scenes boil down to basically being like a kid swinging and bashing his or her toys together, but that is one of the reasons that the chases are entertaining and exciting. One could imagine holding the toys and creating the scenario.

It is an overused expression, but the film is truly for all ages. Like the best children’s films, the humor works for the young ones and the old. Adults should see this film in theaters in 3D. They will be shocked by how refreshingly funny a studio comedy can still be.