In Brief: February 24, 2014

Hilton Head restaurant tests positive for Hepatitis A

Both customers and staffers who were at Hudson’s Seafood House on the Docks Feb. 15 have been urged to seek medical treatment for Hepatitis A exposure, according to The Island Packet.

A news release from the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control said the Hilton Head restaurant had tested positive for Hepatitis A.

A Hudson’s employee tested positive for Hepatitis A on Friday after being away from work. The employee had returned to work on Feb. 15, but was later hospitalized.

The DHEC encouraged anyone who dined or worked at the restaurant from 4 p.m. until closing on Feb. 15 to receive a single-dose vaccine no later than March 1.

Hepatitis A causes inflammation of the liver, according to the DHEC release. Symptoms include fatigue, fever, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain, as well as possible joint pain and jaundice.

Couple charged in connection to Heather Elvis disappearance

A man and woman were charged with two counts each of indecent exposure and one count of obstruction of justice in connection to the Heather Elvis disappearance case, The (Myrtle Beach) Sun News reported.

The Myrtle Beach couple, 41-year-old Tammy Lorinda Moorer and 38-year-old Sidney St. Clair Moorer, were charged Saturday after their home was serached Friday morning.

However, it is not clear how the charges are connected to the case. According to the Sun-News, the only thing linking them was a press release about Friday’s search warrant.

The Moorers were each being held on $20,000 bonds Saturday afternoon. Both will appear in court on May 2. The obstruction of justice chage comes with a maximum of 10 years in prison if they are convicted, as well as three years for each count of indecent exposure.

Maria von Trapp dies at 99

Maria von Trapp, the last surviving member of the family made famous by “The Sound of Music,” died Saturday at the age of 99, according to the Associated Press.

Von Trapp was the third child and second-oldest daughter of Austrian Naval Capt. Georg von Trapp’s seven musical children with his first wife, Agathe Whitehead von Trapp.

She died at her home in Vermont last Tuesday, according to Johannes von Trapp, her brother from her father’s second marriage.

“She was a lovely woman who was one of the few truly good people,” he said. “There wasn’t a mean or miserable bone in her body. I think everyone who knew her would agree with that.”

She was portrayed as Louisa in the 1959 Broadway musical and Oscar-winning 1965 film. In her life, she played accordion and taught Austrian dance with her sister Rosemarie.