Methane poses threat to new facility

USC’s plans to build new football practice facilities near Williams-Brice Stadium have hit a snag worth six figures: methane.

The land, which was once the site of the old state farmers market, was at one time the site of an illegal landfill, according to a report provided to prospective contractors. Now, there are underground pockets of methane, a potentially explosive gas.

Dealing with the gas will cost USC “less than $300,000,” Athletics spokesman Steve Fink said in an email. The project is expected to cost about $17.6 million in all.

Fink said the work isn’t expected to delay the construction, which is adjacent to the tailgating lot USC owns. The fields are scheduled to be ready this fall, and the indoor practice facility in the spring of 2015.

The Centers for Disease Control says methane is “highly explosive” when it makes up between 5 percent and 15 percent of the air and can cause people to suffocate. Of 70 tests conducted throughout the area in November and December, five were at explosive levels and 29 were above the regulatory limit of 1.25 percent.

Methane is one of many gases associated with landfills because it forms as garbage breaks down.

Fink said it’s common to build parks and athletic fields where landfills once were.

Though the new practice building won’t be on the abandoned landfill, USC will install vents and an exhaust system at the new practice fields to release the gas and a membrane to keep it away from people, Fink said.

“We are taking all steps necessary to ensure the safety of our contractors, student-athletes and fans,” Fink said.

The football practice facilities are part of the $51 million the Athletics department plans to spend in the next few years under Athletics Director Ray Tanner.

USC also plans to spend $14 million to spruce up the area around Williams-Brice and plans to get new or renovated facilities for the soccer, track and field and tennis teams.