'We Are' honors Trayvon Martin

The Association of African American Students donned black attire Wednesday and march through Columbia in remembrance of Trayvon Martin on what would have been his 19th birthday.

The crowd started on the steps of the Thomas Cooper Library before walking through the streets of Columbia, not in protest, they said, but in remembrance of those who died in the same light as Martin.

“I am very passionate about Trayvon’s case because to me, he is the Emmett Till of our generation,” said Francine Tamakloe, a second-year marketing and management student. “More than that, it is a highlight of the hundreds of cases just like his.”

While remembering his death, students sang “Happy Birthday” with joy, as they made an effort to show others that the event, dubbed “We Are,” was going to be a happy occasion, not a sad one.

“There are some stories that will never be heard,” Tamakloe said. “The purpose of ‘We Are’ is to give us a moment to reflect, to put ourselves in Trayvon’s shoes, in his family’s shoes, and to find ourselves inspired to take action to prevent these deaths from happening.”

Various groups supported the cause, such as the College Democrats, who spoke on the importance of handling such issues in local communities. Other supporters included the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs and various faculty and staff members.

“I want my generation, as well as others, to recognize that Trayvon has become a part of black history and American history and to know that the life of young black male in America truly is a valuable asset,” said Brie Nurse, a fourth-year broadcast journalism student.

To many, “We Are” was more than a memorial, and students found different ways to represent that through their various actions.

“Too often in these racially charged cases, we get caught up in the politics of everything,” Tamakloe said. “Both sides of the argument get so attached to what they feel that we forget to acknowledge that a life was taken.”

Though the event is still fairly new, Nurse said she hopes the university will repeat it as an annual gathering, not just to remember Martin but also as a way to commemorate modern-day black history.

“While we cannot change the verdict or bring Trayvon back, we can stand in solidarity every year to keep this cry for justice and social equality alive until all are truly seen to be created equal,” Nurse said. “This is how we can show that we care, we remember, we will never forget and most importantly, we are Trayvon Martin.”