Joyous film shows life doesn't end at 50

<p>Gloria Cumplado (Paulina Garcia) is a 58-year-old divorcee who rekindles her youthful spirit with Rodolfo Fernandez (Sergio Hernandez) in &#8220;Gloria&#8221;.</p>
Gloria Cumplado (Paulina Garcia) is a 58-year-old divorcee who rekindles her youthful spirit with Rodolfo Fernandez (Sergio Hernandez) in “Gloria”.

Chilean Oscar submission follows divorced, late middle-age woman

“Gloria,” the Chilean submission to the 86th Academy Awards (although it did not get a nomination), is a clever, life-affirming joy while firmly remaining rooted in reality and human emotions. Gloria Cumplido (Paulina García) is a 58-year-old divorcée with two grown children who goes out to clubs and bars to try and find a connection with a man her age. She is not against having a one-night stand, but she hopes to find someone to have a serious relationship with. One night out on the town she meets Rodolfo Fernández (Sergio Hernández), also divorced with children. The two begin dating, both happy to find a worthy companion to spend their later years with.

Gloria can be a free spirit of a woman; she sings along to pop love songs in her car, she takes aerobic exercise classes taught by her daughter Ana (Fabiola Zamora), which includes everyone lying on the floor laughing together, she smokes pot and she tries the attractions and games at her new boyfriend’s business — a bungee drop that flings her through the air as well as shooting paintballs. The two do not care what their children think about their late-in-life relationship. They want them to be happy about it, but they do not need their approval. Gloria has definitely moved on from her marriage; she even takes Rodolfo to her son’s birthday party which has her ex and his new wife in attendance. Rodolfo is still supporting his children and ex-wife financially, and he has trouble letting go. His marriage is over, but he gets drawn back into that former life too often.

The film takes a look at the life of a woman whose age group is underrepresented in films. The script is acute and sharp, making Gloria a multi-dimensional character. To see a woman of 50-plus years carrying a film is rewarding and refreshing. One of the joys of cinema is getting to walk in someone else’s shoes for a few hours. How dull it is to so frequently see the lives of young, white, incredibly handsome and fit males. García, who won Best Actress for this role at the Berlin International Film Festival, is simply wonderful as the somewhat frumpy but nonetheless beautiful Gloria. She wears big, thick glasses that seem to have been around since before her marriage, and she is not too hesitant to go out on the dance floor and let it all go. Rodolfo used to be obese and finally resorted to weight-loss surgery. Both have gotten to the age where they know their bodies are starting to fall apart, wrinkle and expand in places they wish would not. Their youth may be going away but not their youthfulness and vitality. Immature people might see the characters making out, nude and having sex as “gross” or unappealing, but their physical acts of love are actually sensual and passionate. Remember, everyone who lives to that age could be these people.

This type of film has been done before, but it is a fulfilling, uplifting character study due in large part to the lead actress’s performance. Older audiences will especially enjoy it, but younger adults will find a lot to like about “Gloria.”