Silly 'Muppet' caper provdes laughs for adults

Ricky Gervais joins Miss Piggy and Kermit in "Muppets Most Wanted" (Greg Williams/Disney/MCT)

New sequel more purely funny than previous entry

The Muppets are back in a madcap sequel, “Muppets Most Wanted,” to their 2011 film “The Muppets.” While their new adventure is not as refreshing as the previous film which revived the franchise, the sequel is arguably even funnier and more charmingly silly. This film picks up literally where the last one ended, leaving the Muppets wondering what to do with themselves. That takes them into a knowing song and dance number in which they decide to do a sequel. The characters pitch different ideas to Kermit the Frog for their next picture, including The Swedish Chef suggesting doing a deep existential drama as he sits with Death at a chess board in black and white. What was the last children’s film that made a reference to Ingmar Bergman?

The gang quickly meet British talent agent Dominic Badguy (Ricky Gervais), who assures the Muppets that his name is not pronounced “bad guy.” He suggests the troupe go on a world tour to capitalize on their fame. Kermit is wary of taking on such a commitment just after getting the gang back together. The rest of the Muppets are eager to perform and see no problem with Badguy’s plan. Kermit meekly agrees to make the rest content. The tour is in fact just part of a ruse that involves switching Kermit with an evil criminal mastermind named Constantine who looks identical to the beloved Muppet except for a mole. With the swift application of some green paint on one frog and the slap of a fake mole on the other, the plan is set in motion.

The real Kermit is sent into a Russian gulag run by Nadya (Tina Fey) and the thief uses his role as Muppet to perform in venues near museums with artifacts that will ultimately lead him to his ultimate goal: the royal Crown Jewels of England. The case is followed by Sam Eagle and French detective Jean Pierre Napoleon (Ty Burrell).

The film stars the funniest male and female actors in the entertainment world today: Ricky Gervais (“The Office” U.K.) and Tina Fey (“30 Rock”), respectively. As with many of the Muppets films, there is an array of cameos, some of which last mere seconds. Film fans will want to look on IMDb (the Internet Movie Database) after the film to see who was who. Staying through all the credits will help, too. James Bobin co-wrote “Muppets Most Wanted” and directed the two newest Muppet films, and he brings just the right mixture of humor, anarchy and sweetness to the proceedings. Bobin co-created the cult TV series “Flight of the Conchords” and the musical numbers of that series made him an ideal candidate to bring the Muppets into the 21st century. The sequel has clever little ditties throughout drawing inspiration from various genres, both film and music.

As with all the Muppets films, the plots are just a thin clothesline to hang as many gags, hijinks and songs as possible. Perhaps the plot even gets in the way of the fun in this film at times. Some people’s favorite Muppets are only briefly shown. An almost cruel but nonetheless solid joke is made about this in the film.

Everyone is so used to the Muppets that one forgets the effort it takes to have all those puppets on screen. It really feels like characters are interacting, be they felt or flesh. One quibble with their movement is when they jump around clearly aided by computer effects, such as when Constantine karate kicks a group of guards down. As with Yoda, whom he resembles in that scene, the characters should only be controlled by practical means and not through the use of computers. Part of the joy of the Muppets is that they’re tactile puppets. Having them fly and move through the air breaks a fundamental rule of their universe.

Flat-out funnier than the last film, “Muppets Most Wanted” is a cheeky romp for children as well as adults because of its fantastic comical cast and smart writing.