Student rides cross-country for charity

From Atlantic to Pacific for Bike & Build outreach

Some people are spending summer break relaxing at the beach, or sitting on their parents’ sofa. Martha Scott Johnson will be biking across the United States. The first year higher education and student affairs graduate student plans to spend three months biking across the United States while spreading awareness on affordable housing initiatives with the non-profit organization Bike & Build.

Johnson will begin her trek on May 15 in Nags Head, N.C. by dipping her back wheel into the Atlantic Ocean before embarking on a 3592-mile journey across 9 states. The journey will end July 21st with riders dipping their front wheels in the Pacific Ocean in San Diego, Calif. Johnson will serve alongside three others as leaders for a group of 28 riders between the ages of 18 and 25.

In order to participate in the three month program, riders have to raise $4,500 and log 500 miles of ride time before departure. In addition to riding, the bikers also commit to 12 days of direct service in the form of building affordable housing across America.

“We have been freely given so much and need to freely give it back. I can’t wait to instill that in college students and encourage them to get involved in as many ways as possible,” Johnson said.

Currently serving as the graduate assistant for community service programs, Johnson is no stranger to community activism and volunteering. After graduating from Appalachian State University in 2011 with a bachelor of science in business administration in international business and management, Johnson participated in the AmeriCorps Vista program for a year at Converse College.

“Everyone should have a personal mission statement, mine is ‘to inspire and empower young people to engage in a life of service,’” said Johnson.

Johnson’s passion for volunteer work and social justice aligns perfectly with the mission of Bike & Build. 80% of the funds raised are returned to support affordable housing programs, like Habitat for Humanity, across the country.

According to Johnson, “there’s a difference between social justice and charities. Affordable housing is a social justice issue and hopefully through issue awareness we can add this issue to a the discussion.”

Affordable housing programs aim to provide a safe, structurally sound homes equipped with running water and sufficient living space for all members of the house. Of special importance is affordability.

“There is no county in the U.S. where a person could do a minimum wage job and afford a house,” Johnson said.

While many people assume that houses from affordable housing programs are given to families, Johnson stresses the importance of the fact that they are earned and paid for just like any other house.

Those who qualify have to save money for a down payment, attend financial planning courses and put in a certain number of “sweat hours” on both their house and houses in the community. Furthermore, homeowners are granted no-interest loans and equipped with the skills to perform sustainable projects on the houses.

“We aren’t making houses to just give away. We are empowering people across the country,” Johnson affirmed. “My passion is affordable housing, but it is most important that students are able to identify an issue their passionate about and commit to a service opportunity to improve those around them.”