Christensen: "If we want to move forward, we must all raise our voices"

Rep. Donna Christensen, D-Virgin Islands, emphasized the importance of taking action in the community in terms of healthcare reform while speaking at USC on Friday.

Christensen was the first female physician to serve in Congress and has extensive experience in health and medicine.

Increased community engagement and rising interest in this year’s election polls are two of Christensen’s main concerns, especially in low income communities.

“The unfortunate reality is that there’s rising concern that few minority community-based organizations, who are also our nation’s most under served, are being awarded grants,” Christensen said.

With low funding, community health organizations aren’t fully able to contribute their research that further educates community members, Christensen said, providing little to no protection over the major health disparities that Christensen is concerned with.

“Over the past few years, we launched a steadfast campaign to insure that as our nation’s healthcare reform is reforming, it does so in a matter that will allow us to curve some of our larger standing health disparity trends,” she said. “We have to mount major efforts with community health organizations to keep them funded.”

Though a pledge to eliminate health disparities was developed, Christensen said the celebration was short-lived, as there was no mandatory commitment.

With that, Christensen said that there is hope that things will change.

“We need everyone in our communities to vote in this years’ elections,” Christensen said. “African Americans and others of color can change these conditions and make a difference.”

Christensen stresses that the goals community members have for health equity can’t fall only on the shoulders of Congress, as it is only a small solution to the work that needs to be done within the communities.

“Everyone, not just members of Congress, must raise our voices in support of certain programs and advocate what our communities need,” Christensen said.

One disparity Christensen mentioned was poverty elimination, which was one of the concerns community members voiced during the lecture. A Healthy Columbia representative was greatly concerned with the lack of funding made available for students in the area to have internships with their organization.

Christensen said it will be up to the people to decide whether they move forward to build on the foundation of the Affordable Care Act, and whether important factors of healthcare such as Medicare and Social Security are protected and expanded.

“We’re grateful for what has been done, but if we want to move forward, we must all raise our voices,” Christensen said.