In Brief: April 8, 2014

Gov. Haley plans $50,000 trip to India

Gov. Nikki Haley will travel to India for a trade mission in November, The State reported. Stops on the visit include New Delhi, Mumbai and the Punjab state, the birthplace of her parents.

The trip, planned for Nov. 12-22, will take place a week after South Carolina elections, in which Haley is running for a second four-year term. The mission will cost the state an estimated $50,000 and will include five staff members from the commerce department and the governor’s office.

The commerce department has sent officials to India in the past, including a trip currently underway. According to commerce secretary Bobby Hitt, South Carolina is behind other states that have organized trips to India, which has become the world’s second-most populated country during recent years.

“CEOs want to meet CEOs, and Gov. Haley is our CEO,” Hitt said.

Hitt also believes that Haley’s Indian heritage should aid her in making connections with business leaders. Business in India could be helpful to South Carolina’s growing automotive and aerospace industries.

Teen fugitives appear in court after manhunt

After a manhunt and a 10-hour police chase, Liam Lawler, 15, Shelby Riley, 16, Zach Blanchard, 16, and Daniel Richards-Birchfield appeared before a family court Abbeville County on Monday.

According to statements of investigators, the four teens fled from Tennessee after Blanchard killed his father, 36. The body was discovered in his home around 11 p.m. on Wednesday.

He has been charged with first-degree murder, while the other three fugitives have been charged with accessory after the fact to murder. Additionally, they all face theft charges after police have reported that the four stole a minimum of eight guns from Greene County, Tenn.

All four juveniles agreed to waive extradition after acknowledging the charges they faced in Tennessee. Newberry County and Tennessee authorities are coordinating to facilitate their return.
The fugitives were recovered on in Thursday afternoon in Newberry County. They were unarmed when they were captured in South Carolina, and police reported they were en route to Myrtle Beach.

Charleston hopes to join the ranks of the Taj Mahal, the Grand Canyon and the Pyramids of Giza. It is seeking World Heritage status from the U.N., a designation reserved for sites deemed important to all of humankind, the Associated Press reported.

Charleston applies to be next World Heritage site

The Charleston World Heritage Coalition will write the application, which is expected to run several hundred pages, which must be submitted by January 2016 to the National Park Service. After a year of revisions, the Park Service can then send it to the International Council on Monuments and Sites.

This month, the Historic Charleston Foundation joined the city and the group of businesses advocating for the designation in the process of crafting an application highlighting almost 40 public buildings and places of worship in the city’s historic district.

Charleston could ultimately be designated as a World Heritage site in 2018 if the United Nation’s Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization votes favorably for it. There are 981 heritage sites worldwide, but only 21 in the United States.