Indie Grits returns to Cola

Since its birth in 2007, the Indie Grits Festival has been a major player in the growth of Columbia’s art scene, and starting today, it’s back again for 2014.

Based around the Nickelodeon Theatre on Main Street, Indie Grits has been described as the “South by Southwest” of the Southeast. The festival officially kicks off today and runs until April 20.

Although Indie Grits has a direct connection with the growing film community and will be screening over 60 films throughout the week, the festival is attracting more than just aspiring moviemakers.

This year, a raunchy puppet show, a video game celebration and comedy acts are just a few things you won’t want to miss.

As Indie Grits has grown, so has the size and support of its fan base. Moviemaker Magazine listed Indie Grits twice in their annual list of the “Top 25 Coolest Film Festivals in the World.”

For detailed information about the festival and the featured films, visit the Indie Grits’ official website at http://www.indiegrits.com.

FRIDAYAPRIL 11
Opening night party — Indie Grits will be kicking off behind the Nickelodeon Theatre with its annual opening night party. Admission is free, so come enjoy the live music, food carts and a beer wagon.

SATURDAY ­— APRIL 12
Hip-Hop Family Day — Aside from live music, expect family-friendly activities revolving around hip-hop culture to take over the 1700 block of Main and Laurel streets.

Spork in Hand Puppet Slam — Forget everything you know about the Muppets for this puppet show, because it’s a no-kids-allowed event. This experimental puppet show is described as “thought-provoking and awe-inspiring.”

SUNDAYAPRIL 13
Slow Food — Even though the admission is $20, it’ll be worth every penny once you get to try the dishes prepared for this competition. Participants are chefs from all over Columbia, so consider this a potluck, but with food way better than that pasta salad you had at your company’s picnic.

TUESDAYAPRIL 15
Indie Bits — This all-day event celebrates gaming, bringing together developers and enthusiasts. After a day of showcases and screenings, the Nickelodeon is being transformed into an arcade complete with pizza, lasers and games being played on a massive movie screen.

THURSDAYAPRIL 17
Of Montreal at the Columbia Museum of Art — Your favorite trippy, electro-rock group will be headlining at the art museum to give Indie Grits its music fill. Joining them are Atlanta alt-rock group Mood Rings and Columbia’s own up-and-coming punk rockers FK MT.

FRIDAYAPRIL 18
Weekly Revue — This variety show is wrapping up the week in a show prepared by comedian Toby David with a late-night, hodgepodge good time.

SATURDAYAPRIL 20
Closing Party — Send off Indie Grits by dancing the week away with food, beer, music and more.