New Brookland to hold fundraiser show

As the longest continuously running local concert venue, the Columbia music scene would be nothing without The New Brookland Tavern.

This Saturday, it will be holding a benefit “megashow,” and all of the proceeds will go toward repairs the venue needs.

The New Brookland Tavern has been the home to music of all different genres for over 20 years. Mike Lyons, its current owner, took over in 2004 with his brother. Starting out at WUSC-FM as a Gamecock, he has dedicated his life to local music.

“I don’t do it for money. I do it because this is my passion,” he said. “We just want to make [the tavern] stronger.”

Part of the appeal of going to a show at The New Brookland Tavern is its divey bar feel with graffiti-covered walls and bands that play up-close and personal.

But what was grunge has turned into a damaged roof, broken air conditioning and a bathroom in need of repairs.

“We want to get it back to the condition when we first got it, if not better,” Lyon said, “We want to make it so you don’t have to cut through the band’s equipment to go to the bathroom.”

Fundraising for The New Brookland Tavern started in February before Alex Roberts, of Cover of Afternoon, suggested holding an all-day fundraiser. While Lyons was thankful that the initial online fundraiser raised enough to fix the air conditioning, he said the more money he can raise, the better he can make the venue.

Nine local and regional bands were eager to give back to the venue that’s supported them as they’ve grown over the years.

One of the featured artists, Daniel Rowell, is only one example of a local musician showing appreciation for everything the New Brookland Tavern does by volunteering for this show.

“The New Brookland Tavern is responsible for helping tons of local bands develop a following,” Rowell said in an email. “(It’s) one of the only places in Columbia that provides a perfect venue for local talent to promote and perform great shows.”

Plenty of big names have shared the stage at the New Brookland Tavern, including Fleet Foxes, Against Me!, The Front Bottoms, Arcade Fire, mewithoutYou and 3OH!3. The thing is, just about all of them played there before they blew up.

“We’re not the place that gets the band with the No. 1 hit; we’re the place where they get their start and where they end up once they finish,” Lyons said. “They want to come back to Columbia and play at New Brookland Tavern because this is the place [a lot of them] grew up, and Columbia has a great fan crowd.”