Senate passes session's first pieces of legislation

The student senate celebrated Wednesday night after passing its first few pieces of legislation, followed by a lively discussion regarding the university’s health services.

A resolution to support Sexual Awareness Month will go down in Student Government history as the first piece of legislation passed by the 106th senate, followed by a recommendation to allocate nearly $3,000 to three on-campus organizations and another recommendation that created a constitutional committee.

Additionally, Student Body President Lindsay Richardson’s nominees for her cabinet were presented to the body and referred to the appropriate committees.

But it was the discussion at the end that may have been the most memorable portion of the meeting.

Sen. Byron Thomas, of the College of Mass Communications, took to the floor to share complaints he had received from students with the rest of the body regarding the campus shuttle schedule. Senate president pro tempore Jonathan Holt followed close behind, reminding the senators that matters that fall under the domain of any of senate’s ten committees should be discussed with committees before being brought to the body as a whole.

But Thomas wasn’t finished there.

“I know I’ll never use [the Thompson Student Health Center], and I know there are thousands of students who never will either,” Thomas said, at which point Student Body Vice President Donnie Iorio asked him to refrain from speculating about the student body while bringing issues to the senate floor.

Several senators responded to Thomas’ qualms, but a heated debate did not ensue.

“We discussed and learned a lot about the student health fee, and a vast majority of senate was very favorable and appreciative,” Iorio said after the meeting.

Furthermore, Iorio made it clear after the meeting that Thomas’ words were not representative of the views of the senate, Student Government or the student body.

“Senators only represent their constituencies,” he said. “His voice is his voice. He might have heard from those students, but their delegation has not said the same, so that’s literally just him as a senator.”