Flix Picks: Good-hearted comedies available on instant Netflix

Photo from the episode "The Wall"
Photo from the episode "The Wall"

Sure, there are a lot of distractions in college, but why not unwind with some good TV? Netflix has become the go-to for wasting time, considering the seemingly endless list of full series and movies at your fingertips. There’s a lot to choose from, so here’s a list of some of the best, good-hearted comedy TV shows available to you instantly.

‘Bob’s Burgers’
This animated comedy paints the picture of a tight-knit family, scraping by to keep their burger joint afloat. Starring voice actor Jon Benjamin as the main character, “Bob’s Burgers” is well-loved for many reasons — specifically the quirky characters, like the children, Tina, Louise and Gene. “Bob’s Burgers” tackles relevant topics hilariously and is extremely wholehearted and full of puns.
While plenty of fans claim “Bob’s Burgers” is underrated, the show has picked up some serious popularity as it gears up to start season five this October. It’s clever and well-thought out, and the show describes a realistic family environment that fully utilizes the potential of the younger characters. Many comedies focus on the parents’ problems, but the children’s mischief is what keeps Bob’s Burgers interesting. Anyone can get hooked as soon as the first episode is over, so proceed with caution if you don’t have time for binge-watching.
Sample eps: Bed and Breakfast (S1/E7), Nude Beach (S3/E11)

‘Parks and Recreation’
“Parks and Recreation” is an Emmy Award-winning sitcom starring Amy Poehler as Leslie Knope, an employee of the Parks department in a suburban Indiana town. With a talented and lovable supporting cast, “Parks and Rec” is one of the best comedies currently on TV. Although the show focuses on humdrum, bureaucratic duties in City Hall, the character chemistry makes this show a must-watch for comedy lovers.
While cast members like Aziz Ansari’s character, Tom, are incredibly wacky and outlandish, they remain just ordinary enough to relate to. “Parks and Rec” is known for its strong, well-developed characters, which is just one reason the fan base is so dedicated. Extremely witty, adorable and addicting, “Parks and Rec” is a worthwhile watch for any comedy lover.
Sample eps: Jerry’s Painting (S3/E11), Ron and Tammy (S2/E8)

‘Freaks and Geeks’
Though only a single season aired, “Freaks and Geeks” is a cult-comedy. It focuses on high schooler Lindsay, played by Linda Cardellini and her younger brother Sam, portrayed by John Francis Daley. This show, set in 1980, tells an engaging, coming-of-age story, exploring the life of a typical teenager growing with the changing world around them.
The conflicts in the show make “Freaks and Geeks” relatable to teens in any decade, not just the early ‘80s. Fitting in, dating, drugs, alcohol and bullying are just a few examples of issues portrayed throughout the series. While Lindsay and her new friends are labeled as the “Freaks,” making her a part of the cool, yet shady crowd, her younger brother is a “Geek,” remaining quiet and an outcast. “Freaks and Geeks” will make you laugh, cry and want to buy an army green jacket. Plus, who doesn’t want to see young James Franco, Seth Rogen and Jason Segel?
Sample eps: Pilot Episode (S1/E1), this is a show to watch from start to finish.