In Brief: Aug., 21

Deputy coroner resigns after DUI charge
Lexington County is looking for a new deputy coroner.
Barry Wright, who previously had held the position, was taken into custody Tuesday after he was found asleep in his running car as it was stationary in the middle of an intersection, The State reported.
According to a West Columbia Police Department report, Wright was found slumped over his steering wheel with a 24-ounce beer can in his center cup holder. When asked to exit the vehicle, Wright opened a can of tobacco and began chewing.He said the smell of alcohol was coming from the can, and that he had consumed alcohol four hours ago but “had a dip in the entire time.” He told officers the cans in his car were “from a death scene yesterday” and didn’t need to be thrown out. Both cans were cold to the touch.
Officers took Wright into custody, where he posted bail. His resignation was submitted and accepted later Wednesday, according to Lexington County Coroner Earl Wells.
—Davis Klabo, Assistant News Editor

Overheated coffee pot causes mall fire
An overheated coffee pot is to blame for a fire that broke out at a Columbia Strip Mall late Tuesday Night, the State reported.
According to Brick Lewis of the Columbia Fire Department spokesman, Columbia firefighters arrived on the scene around 10:15 p.m. Tuesday night and determined that a coffee pot exploded after being left on for too long.
Witnesses were alarmed after they saw black smoke coming from the barbershop in which the fire originated, though they were unable to see any actual flames from the outside.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze without too much trouble, aided by the fact that it was localized in the barbershop itself and not spread throughout the other businesses.
No injuries were reported as a result of the fire. An early estimate puts damages at around $50,000.
-Davis Klabo, Assistant News Editor

High schooler arrested over assignment
Summerville High School student Alex Stone was arrested Tuesday morning for killing an imaginary pet dinosaur in a class assignment, WWBT reported.
For the assignment, students were asked to write a few sentences about themselves as if they were writing a Facebook post. In his assignment, Stone included the phrases, “gun” and “taking care of business” in his fictional story about killing an imaginary pet dinosaur belonging to his neighbor.
Stone’s teacher notified school officials after reading the assignment and contacted the police. Officers searched Stone’s bookbag and locker for a gun but found nothing. When confronted by officers, Stone became disruptive and was detained for disrupting the school. Stone said that what he wrote was intended as a joke.
According to his mother, Stone has been suspended for the rest of the week. He has also been charged with disorderly conduct.
—Collyn Taylor, Assistant News Editor