Moe's Money, Mo' Options

If campus food hasn’t been cutting it for you, you’re in luck.

Four new businesses are now accepting Carolina Cash, making a total of 15 venues that accept cash loaded onto a CarolinaCard.

The first businesses began accepting Carolina Cash last year after students advocated for several years to integrate the on-campus payment method into the local economy.

“Carolina Cash off-campus has been a student government initiative for almost eight years, so it’s been under almost every student body president to try and get this off the ground,” Student Body President Lindsay Richardson,said. “It’s been kind of a long process, but it reflects how most things [are] when you’re trying to get the university on board after a long process.”

Student government has worked closely with the associate vice president of business affairs to make this off-campus expansion a reality.

As the first venues began accepting Carolina Cash, more businesses reached out to the university in the hopes of participating.

“Why I think it might be hard for businesses to jump on board right away is because, like any investment in any interest or tune-in market, there is a risk involved, and I think as we add [businesses] that risk seems less and less to all these other new partners,” Richardson said.

Student government and the associate vice president of student affairs are currently working on contracts with more businesses, which they hope will become official soon.

“I think it’s good for businesses because our students do drive a lot of the economy in Columbia. So just being a part of that and having it into that marketplace is not only good to build a relationship with all the students who come in and out and all the businesses of our university, but also this overall enhances their business as well,” Richardson said.

Moe’s decided to offer Carolina Cash because of the overwhelming majority of college students that eat at their restaurant.

“The majority of our customers at this location are students at USC, and it’s just a good way to reach out,” Moe’s manager Alex McCartha said. “We’re friends of USC and we like our customers.”
In addition to giving students more options, the ability to use Carolina Cash off-campus also encourages students to interact with businesses in the community.

“I think it’s beneficial students because while you’re at the university, you’re also part of the Carolina and Columbia community,” Richardson said. “There’s a lot of business, people, leaders that are involved in that, and I think taking it off campus gives students not only the opportunity to interact with the Columbia community and the city but also gives those businesses and vendors a chance to be a part of the Carolina community as well.”

As for Moe’s, McCartha said it’s a good move for business, that will benefit students, as well.
“[Students] have always been a fan of our food, and now it’s just easier,” McCartha said. “Now you can get your parents to pay for your Moe’s instead of digging through your couch cushions.