Flix Picks: Crime Dramas

The idea of watching a fictional character partake in things you wouldn’t think about doing is intriguing, and this is what makes crime thrillers so popular. With that being said, we’ve found the perfect shows for you to indulge in from the comfort of your bed on Netflix Instant Streaming.

Bates Motel

If you’ve ever taken a film class or listened to horror movie fans' praise, you’ve probably heard of Hitchcock’s blockbuster '60s film, “Psycho.”  With a vaguely similar plot line, the show “Bates Motel” creates an interesting backstory for “Psycho.”

The series focuses on Norman Bates and his mother at the beginning of their story, compared to farther down the timeline when “Psycho” would have taken place. With this story line, the series has given an opportunity to expand further on why Norman Bates' character is so terrifyingly creepy in Hitchcock’s film.

Aside from taking place in the present day, changing the characters’ ages and making it in color, “Bates Motel” is different but doesn’t stray too far. “Bates Motel” works to provide a sort of explanation for the story that is told in “Psycho.”

No one should go into this show expecting a remake of “Psycho.” The plot changes a lot when you take a creepy man from a movie and make him a cute teen in a TV series. The series has stayed close enough to the plot of the original film to keep Hitchcock fans happy, which clearly has — it just got renewed for a third season.

The series is done with artistic film-quality directing, but that doesn’t make it easy to view. Some of the scenes are seriously hard to watch — this series did not hold back on graphic violence, and that’s definitely not for everyone. But don’t get me wrong — “Bates Motel” is incredibly well done.

Weeds

Keep in mind crime television isn’t limited to murder — “Weeds” is based around a suburban drug dealer. When Nancy Botwin’s husband suddenly dies from a heart attack, she finds selling marijuana is the only way for her to comfortably support her family.

“Weeds” puts a different spin on the drug story. Less serious than shows like “Breaking Bad,” this series is incredibly quirky while still yielding solemn undertones. As the show progresses, she begins to get wrapped up with the wrong people.

While it’s not something in common conversation, the dynamic that is portrayed in “Weeds” gives a more realistic look into an American family. The show lays out the transformation an iced-coffee-drinking soccer mom takes to become the town drug dealer. Unconventional, yes — but mothers like Nancy Botwin are not unrealistic.

From the creator of “Orange is the New Black” Jenji Kohan, “Weeds” falls into the new genre term “dramedies” — a drama on paper that also has a lighter side you can laugh at.

It’s a shame that “Weeds” is no longer on air, but hey — there are eight seasons waiting to be watched on Netflix.

Dexter

Miami has always been one of Florida’s hotspots, but who would have thought tourists would start flocking there to get a chance to see the apartment from “Dexter" in person?

The series follows Dexter Morgan, who is a forensics specialist by day and a serial killer by night. Here’s the catch — he only kills people who deserve it. After eight seasons,  two Golden Globes and plenty of other awards, it is pretty clear that Showtime hit a home run when they came out with the show “Dexter.”

“Dexter” is truly one of a kind. There’s been plenty of cop shows that show the law enforcement point of view, but how many shows offer perspectives from both sides of a crime? In an inadvertent way, the show raises the debate of whether or not murder can be justifiable and also dives into plenty of commentary revolving around mental illness.

There’s a lot of blood in the show, but most of it is from a scientific perspective which creates an interesting take on your typical crime series.

Considering its edginess, “Dexter” was a risk when it first came out, but they definitely nailed it — it’s an incredible show.