In Brief: Sept. 15, 2014

Alleged murderer of USC professor receives trial date

Hank Hawes, accused of brutally murdering USC professor Jennifer Lee Wilson in 2011, is set to go to trial Oct. 6 at the Richland County courthouse, The State reported. 

Hawes, 40, could face life in prison for stabbing Wilson multiple times in her one-story brick duplex in an upscale neighborhood with professionals and young families. Hawes  has been held without bond since shortly after the crime.

Wilson allegedly had a relationship with Hawes but broke it off. The two met on an Internet dating site, and Hawes told people Wilson was his fiancee. Hawes also had a history of abuse with his past wives, past girlfriends and daughters.

Wilson had just been awarded tenure after teaching at USC for six years. She enjoyed snow skiing and practiced yoga at a studio in Five Points.

Accused shooter of Clemson student begins trial

Clemson student Steven Grich died from a bullet to the head on Dec. 8, 2012, The State reported. Lester Mosley Jr., 20, is accused of the crime, and is charged with murder, armed robbery and burglary.

Mosley and three others broke into Grich's apartment near the Clemson campus wearing ski masks in hopes of robbing Grich's roommate of money and marijuana.

After the men entered through a back door and demanded drugs, they beat Grich  with a pistol and shot him. Mosley and the other men obtained a small amount of marijuana.

Mosley  was released on bond for a charge of assault by mob when he was arrested for shooting Grich.

Beaches receive grants to improve access

The Department of Health and Environmental Control will contribute more than $250,000 to three South Carolina beaches, the Associated Press reported. These funds will be designated for the improvement of public access.

North Myrtle Beach will use $110,000 from state funds as well as additional local funds to make the beach more accessible to the disabled in multiple areas. The city also intends to construct a restroom facility.

The state is providing Myrtle Beach with $90,000 to replace dune walkover structures. The project will also make use of local money.

Folly Beach is combining its local funds with the $52,000 it was awarded to build parking spaces for the disabled. The city also plans to improve a dune walkover.