In Brief: Sept. 25

Defense lawyer lies to IRS, indicted

A criminal defense lawyer from Columbia was sentenced to three years' probation Wednesday after lying to a federal agent.

Joenathan Chaplin, 47, pleaded guilty to lying to an IRS agent, saying that he didn't know about certain reporting requirements for the IRS Form 8300.

Form 8300 requires that any individual depositing more than $10,000 file a form with the IRS.

Chaplin's false statement was made when federal agents questioned him about an unrelated drug and firearm investigation, according to a federal press release.

The issue of Chaplin's various incidents of inappropriate conduct emerged last year when a fellow U.S. attorney in Columbia protested those occurrences in front of an open court.

Chaplin must spend the first six months of his probation under house arrest with an electronic device on him.

Stewart won't face criminal charges

NASCAR driver Tony Stewart will not face charges in the case of Kevin Ward Jr.'s death.

The announcement came Wednesday in front of a grand jury in upstate New York.

The jury told Stewart that there was no basis for him to face criminal charges in this case.

Stewart's pending charges included second-degree manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide.

D.A. Michael Tantillo  said the jury saw both videos of the incident and said that there was "no aberrational driving by Tony Stewart."

The incident in question happened Aug. 9 when Stewart struck and killed Ward at Canandaigua Motorsports Park.

After taking a brief hiatus after the incident, Stewart will continue racing now that the charges have been dropped.

While the criminal charges were dropped, Stewart could still face a suit in civil court.

South Carolina unveils plan to fight obesity

The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control revealed the Obesity Action Plan to slim down the state's residents.

According to SCDHEC Director Catherine Templeton, obesity costs the state $8.5 billion per year.

The plan focuses on education, improving communities, worksites, healthcare and schools. 

Local farmers markets will become more available with the new plan with more farmers markets accepting food stamps.

Templeton said there are rural parts of South Carolina that need help implementing DHEC's plan.

Her primary focus will be promoting healthy eating efforts in those rural schools, restaurants, churches and retailers.

South Carolina is one state that did not previously recognize obesity as a disease, and the DHEC plan seeks to change that view in order to put the plan into motion.

The plan is also seeking to bridge the gap between counties struggling with their obesity epidemic and those that are doing well.