In Our Opinion: Library supports lifelong learning

The Richland County Library took a shot at an open forum on gun control Monday night and really hit the mark.

The library has served as an intellectual pillar in the city of Columbia for years, not only offering programs for young readers but accommodating lifelong learners with programs for adults, including computer classes.   

By facilitating this discussion, Richland County Library creates another opportunity for lifelong learners to practice critical thinking and encounter new opinions on the highly controversial topic of gun control.

While debates over gun control are in no short supply, pulling the discussion out of the Facebook comments and away from the political stage creates a very different conversation. This venue is politically neutral and allows meaningful discussion without the possibility of policy change, raising tensions among participants.

Discussions like this one, outside of political forums, are the steps that more communities should be taking to achieve more solidarity in public opinion and more widespread voter education, hopefully resulting in policies that actually help the people they are put in place to benefit.

We hope that the library will expand its already far reaching influence in the community by hosting more events like this. After gun control, we would love to see them take a shot at things like immigration, unemployment, LGBT rights and homelessness.

Libraries have been stigmatized as stodgy, dark places for staunch intellectuals, and Richland County Library proves time and time again that they are anything but. This living, breathing community hub promises to continue its impact on the community for years to come, not just for students and children but for learners of all ages.