New series "BoJack Horseman" horses around

Netflix original series are known for being edgy and outlandish, but a show about a cartoon horse with a substance abuse problem is something we can all relate to, right?

Released late this August, “BoJack Horseman” tells the story of a Full House-esque sitcom star 20 years in the future, focusing on his dried up career and the downfall his life has taken. BoJack, portrayed by Will Arnett, is an underachiever paralyzed by the expectations of his past. Linking the season together are his memoirs, ghostwritten by an upcoming writer Diane, voiced by Alison Brie of “Community.”

“BoJack Horseman” doesn’t start too strong. The first episode has plenty of funny verbal gags, but the characters seem thinly drawn with cheap cutaway gags that echo “Family Guy” far more than any new animated comedy should.

It may be tempting to give up there, but you shouldn’t — the comedy gets sharper, any “Family Guy” comparisons are soon washed away and the characters turn out to be legitimately compelling and well developed.

Not too bad for a show about an alcoholic horse.

With a voice cast of experienced comedy performers, “BoJack Horseman” was impressive from the
get-go. Other than Arnett and Brie, Aaron Paul of “Breaking Bad,” Amy Sedaris from “Strangers with Candy,” and comedian Paul F. Tompkins play other integral characters in the show. Aside from the solid casting of the main characters, guest cameos include plenty of comedy icons, such as Stephen Colbert and Chris Parnell.

In addition to the stunning cast, drummer of the Black Keys Patrick Carney wrote the original theme for the series.

The fact that Netflix is a paid, online subscription and doesn’t have to follow FCC regulations creates a great outlet for adult comedies. The writing is clever, deadpan and extremely raw. Don’t let the animation fool you — raunchy and hilarious, Netflix writers did not hold back here.

Although there’s no way to watch “BoJack Horseman” on live TV, Netflix uses the common trait of binge-watching with online streaming to their advantage in the plot lines of their shows. While having frequent flashbacks in a weekly series could cause confusion, “BoJack Horseman” is almost meant for watching episodes back to back.

The show has some weird running gags, such as characters being different species and it never being addressed. It throws shade on real problems in show business.

“BoJack Horseman” portrays a surreal, yet realistic picture of Los Angeles, reflecting issues such as celebrities criticized for personal opinions, sexual orientation and weight gain. Aside from reflecting the corrupt nature of Hollywood, the show also constantly takes stabs at The Amazing Spider-Man’s star, Andrew Garfield.

With BoJack being a former ’90s television star, the show does a great job of parodying the quality — or lack thereof — of 20-year-old sitcoms. For example, BoJackhorseman.com is meant to be a joke website, modeled after poorly-designed early sites with terrible patterns and bright colors.

Spotlighting child stars, an episode paints a picture of a child star named Sarah Lynn, whose life basically caricatures Miley Cyrus. Mocking child actors rebelling picture-perfect lives, it’s no surprise when Sarah shows up at BoJack’s house, throws a party and then later has sex with him.

Yes, “BoJack Horseman” had a rocky start, but the series ends with solid, satisfying episodes that make the viewer anxious for more episodes — and don’t worry — Netflix has already planned for a second season.

Overall, fans of “Ugly Americans,” “Archer” or any well-written, bizarre cartoons should seriously consider “BoJack Horseman” as their next show to watch.