USC graduate takes the stage for "Annie"

USC graduate Cameron Mitchell Bell is donning a smile and taking to the stage for the 2014-2015 national Broadway tour of “Annie.” 

Bell will assume the character of Bert Healy, the host of a weekly radio show, best known for the song “You’re Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile.” He can also be spotted in the ensemble in other scenes.

Bell is making sure to add in some of his own personality while portraying the iconic character in "Annie.”

“I think it’s important to maintain the integrity of the character itself the way the original book writer intended while adding you to the character,” Bell said. “To be believable in any role you have to be yourself and bring that to the character.”

Martin Charnin, the original Broadway director and the lyricist from the 1977 Broadway production, is directing the production. Liza Gennaro is following in the footsteps of her father, the original choreographer, by choreographing this production of “Annie.”

“I am literally working with legends of the musical theater world,” Bell said. “I remember being a kid and listening to ‘Annie’ and loving it and the fact that I am now being directed by the same man who made this show one of if not the most beloved family musical is truly mind blowing and humbling.”

According to Bell, performing in what he considers “one of the most iconic shows in the American musical theater history” requires a lot from the actors.

“As our director told us on opening,” Bell said, “we have now been passed down the flame of this staple in musical theater history and it is our responsibility to keep this thing alive and share this amazing story with future generations.”

Bell has always dreamt of a career in the arts, but he was more focused on music when he was younger. As he got involved in local and professional theater, he found his real passion was for acting.

At USC, Bell majored in vocal performance with an emphasis in classical music. He said his university experience taught him how to be a versatile singer and performer.

One of his professors, Walter Cuttino, stood out among the rest and helped him refine the different musical styles he was interested in.

“He was my biggest cheerleader. I was never the traditional idea of a good student. I have always had strong opinions and grew up knowing what I wanted and who I was,” Bell said. “And while many teachers throughout my life shunned that, he really embraced me with open arms and taught me how to use those things to my advantage while still maintaining who I was as a performer and ultimately a person.”

Auditions for Broadway shows often require performers to arrive at 5:30 or 6 a.m. and wait in line with hundreds of other people who are shooting for the same part. After hours of anticipation, the initial audition lasts under a minute. From there, some performers are called back to dance, sing again or read from a script.

For “Annie,” Bell went to an open call audition, and was called back several months later. His call back was in front of the production’s entire creative team.

Even though the process was difficult, being a part of “Annie” is a dream come true for Bell.

“I am truly humbled to walk on stage every night and perform for thousands of people and to call that a job is an amazing thing,” Bell said. “I think my favorite part of performing is just being lucky enough to do what I always wanted to do and get paid for it.”

Bell encourages others who might want to follow in his footsteps to work hard, be persistent and have no regrets.

“It’s not easy and it may never be easy,” Bell said, “but if your heart is in it and there is nothing else you want or you can see yourself doing, then do it.”