Students "come out" on Greene Street

USC’s Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Straight Alliance (BGLSA) encouraged students to come out to Greene Street Friday, in celebration of National Coming Out Day (NCOD) during LGBTQ History Month.

NCOD began in Washington, D.C. on Oct. 11, 1987 when half a million people gathered to march in support of LGBT rights, and now, 26 years later, it's celebrated internationally each year.

BGLSA members passed out condoms and candy-filled goody bags to celebrate, but the focal point of the event was a rainbow-painted door that students could “come out of.” Dry erase boards were also provided where students could write what they wanted to come out as, and it wasn't limited to sexual orientation or gender.

Fourth-year visual communications student Michael Tolbert said what the USC LGBT community was doing was noble beyond belief and that “there should be more days like today.”

The Supreme Court of the United States' decision to deny hearing the appeal for the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals' decision regarding gay rights made this year’s annual celebration unique.  The justices ruled that denying rights to same-sex couples that are granted to opposite sex couples was unconstitutional. South Carolina, North Carolina, Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia fall under the fourth circuit and must take precedent from higher court decisions.

President Barack Obama acknowledged the decision, tweeting “The Supreme Court just cleared the path for marriage equality in at least five more states #LoveIsLove” last Monday.  

Charleston County councilwoman Colleen Condon and partner Nichols Bleckley were among the first same-sex couples to apply for a marriage license in South Carolina last Wednesday morning following the decision. However, on Thursday the SC Supreme Court halted the issuance of licenses until a federal court case about the matter is settled.