Column: Before looking to the White House, Graham must look to South Carolina

Aside from Monday’s nontelevised debate in a friendly environment, South Carolina’s senior U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham has pretty much avoided the state he represents this campaign season.

In fact, the news that he was in the state at a generic campaign event a few weeks ago was touted by the campaign. It shouldn’t be noteworthy that a senator returns home — that's what they're supposed to do, especially when running for re-election.

It is part of a trend with Graham, who seems to prefer talking about national issues rather than working on issues for South Carolina. In a recent study, the New York Times found that since 2009, Graham is among the most featured politicians on Sunday morning political news shows.

The others they highlighted? John McCain, a Republican household name; David Axelrod, the chief Obama surrogate; and Dick Durbin, a member of the Democratic Senate leadership. Graham is not a party leader, press spokesperson or even a member of the Senate leadership. He just likes to hear himself talk.

But narcissism isn’t the only explanation. Graham recently offered another possible reason for his all talk, no action brand of politics — he’s considering a run for President of the United States.

Graham is most known nationally for his extreme devotion to his mentor McCain, his war hawk positions and, most importantly, his addiction to appearing on television. His potential presidential candidacy would not be good for the country, as his increased national profile signifies a modern shift in politics from substance to soundbites.

Graham’s refusal to debate or appear in public this campaign cycle is understandable, if pathetic. His predecessor in the senate, South Carolina political legend Strom Thrumond, perfected the run-away-and-hide campaign style that allowed him to serve until 100 without public scrutiny.  At least he built his reputation up through excellent constituent service and advocacy for the state, not TV appearances.

It makes political sense for an incumbent U.S. senator to hide behind a TV screen in Washington and talk, rather than campaign and listen. Despite that, it is not the behavior we should encourage in our leaders, let alone those considering running for president.

Regardless of his political positions, Graham should be taken to task by both parties for ignoring his constituency while promoting himself and his views to anyone with a camera.

Graham is not the first politician guilty of this sin, nor will he be the last. However, the nation should think twice about rewarding this "me first" brand of politics with increased influence and adoration. South Carolina should demand more of its senior senator. Otherwise, the state will be in his rearview mirror even more than it is right now.