Italian Festival showcases cultural authenticity

Who would've guessed that the perfect compliment to Saturday’s fall weather would be the smell of marinara sauce in the air?

The annual Italian festival returned to Columbia Saturday, along with plenty of accordions, grape stomping and food. Covering two city blocks in the Robert Mills district, vendors from all over the state came together to sell great food and celebrate their Italian heritage.

Columbia’s Italian festival has been going strong for seven years and it bigger with every return. 

Attendees came from near and far to experience the culture of Italy firsthand, and with such a wide variety of attendees, it was clear to see that the festival welcomed everyone. With children’s face painting on one side and sword fighting on the other, there was something for everyone — there was even pet gelato to accommodate furry friends. The Italian festival hit a sweet spot for creating a family-friendly environment, while simultaneously welcoming the college crowd.

The activities ranged from grape stomping to bocce ball, but the event’s high point was the authentic cuisine.

It was La Fontana North in Charleston owner Roberto Ciavarella’s first time as a vendor at Columbia’s Italian festival, and it will not be the last.  Nothing puts a smile on a restaurant owner’s face more than people lining up to buy handmade gnocchi. 

“Most [Italian] restaurants are second generation, but we are first generation — we moved here 4 years ago,” Ciavarella said. “Our restaurant is 100 percent authentic because we are from Italy.”

And it's the authenticity that brought people out this weekend.

For third-year film and media studies student Elizabeth Somma, the festival hit close to home. After coming to USC from Brooklyn, Saturday was a reminder of her family.

“A lot of times I don’t know where to find good Italian food,” Somma said. “It’s nice to see what Italian culture is like in Columbia.” 

As an Italian minor, Somma  said she's happy to see the program expanding, but she pointed out that Italian tends to be overlooked.

“As much as the Italian program has grown, it’s still relatively small,” Somma said. “When you see a whole day devoted to the culture, it’s refreshing.”

Along with USC's Italian program, Columbia's festival has grown exponentially, thanks to the event's massive volunteer base.

Kate McLaurin was one of 280 volunteers who came together to make this year’s festival happen. You don’t have to have an Italian background to get involved, she said — it just takes someone who appreciates the festival for what it is. The vendors are the main attraction, but it’s the supporters that have kept the festival afloat. 

“[The food] is not overpriced, and it’s so good and made on the spot.” McLaurin said. “To me, it’s the best festival in Columbia.”