USC professor detained in Russia for teaching journalism workshop

Randy Covington, a professor in the School of Journalism and Mass Communications, was detained in Russia Thursday for teaching an investigative journalism seminar.

Covington and fellow journalist Joe Bergantino arrived in Russia earlier this week to conduct journalism training with Russian reporters.   After a successful two-day workshop in Moscow, the pair headed to St. Petersburg to begin a second workshop  but were stopped by Russian officials, who instructed them to stop teaching, according to Charles Bierbauer, dean of the School of Journalism and Mass Communications. 

“This is an abrupt intervention,” Bierbauer said. “It was something we were trying to do to enhance journalism and enhance journalism education in Russia."

Bierbauer said he spoke with Covington after he and Bergantino underwent a visa hearing, in which they were told their visas did not permit them to teach in Russia.  The U.S. Embassy instructed them not to obtain a business visa, since those are harder to get.

“They were doing what they were supposed to do and then suddenly, the rules changed,” Bierbauer said.

According to Bierbauer, Covington has traveled to Russia four or five times in the past without issue.

“He’s fine. He was not arrested. He was not imprisoned,” Bierbauer said. “We’ll have to wait until he gets back and see what kind of stories he has to tell."