Event shows appreciation for four-legged life support

USC’s Relay for Life held the first ever Bark for Life in Rosewood Park Saturday, when dogs and their humans came together to raise money to fight cancer.

As the title suggests, Bark for Life is a canine event that recognizes the caregiving qualities of dogs for those living with cancer and to attract a new audience to Relay for Life. Bark for Life started in 2007, when cancer survivor JoAnn McKiernan and her dog Sassy combined a dog walk with a 5k run in order to raise money for Relay for Life. The run/walk was so successful McKiernan organized it again in 2008, and it became Bark for Life. Seven years later, the ACS reports that Bark for life raises $750,000 annually.

The day started off with a walk at 10 a.m. and continued until 2 p.m. with contests and activities to keep the pooches entertained, including a dog and owner lookalike contest and bobbing for hot dogs.

Grace Gardner, a third year women and gender studies and international studies student, attended Bark for Life with Goombah, a Pets Inc. dog that is up for adoption.

Gardner also said she loved having Goombah all day.

“I thought it was so cool that you could foster dogs for a day," she said. "Pets Inc. really helped us out by bringing their dogs to the event."

Pets Inc., a non-profit no-kill shelter for dogs and cats, had many dogs up for adoption at the event. The West Columbia shelter is one of the only no-kill shelters located in the Midlands.

“[USC Relay for Life] really wanted to have a fall fundraiser to get people thinking about Relay for life," Gardner said. 

USC’s Alpha Chi Omega and Kappa Kappa Gamma were the top-two fundraising teams for the event. USC’s Sigma Chi was also at the event raising money with a cook out.

Bark for Life is a feeder event for Relay for Life, a fundraising event for American Cancer Society held in over 20 countries which has raised over $5 billion since 1985.  USC’s Relay for Life will be held on April 17, 2015 on Blatt Fields starting at 7 p.m.