ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: District Six House of Representatives candidates

Representing District Six

Democratic candidate James Clyburn is the incumbent in this election.   He has served as the assistant democratic leader in Congress since 2011 and “has worked to respond to the needs of America’s diverse communities,” according to his website.

Clyburn has worked on projects ranging from community health centers to education programs and has made efforts to resolve historic discrimination issues through legislation, develop green technologies and decrease poverty.  Clyburn has secured funding for empowerment zones and impoverished communities in effort to encourage economic development.

Clyburn and his wife, Emily Clyburn, have three daughters named Mignon, Jennifer and Angela.

Culler for Congress

Republican candidate Anthony Culler defeated Leon Winn in the primary election and is now running to represent District Six in Congress.   He is a newcomer to the election, calling himself a proponent of serving the people.

On his campaign website, he writes, “When elected, I will bring jobs to the district and a better way of life”   and that he will stand by the people of District Six to “never back down from doing what is best for the people.”

Culler studied at Coastal Carolina University.

Umbaugh for Congress

Kevin Umbaugh represents the Libertarian Party in the election for District Six’s representative.  He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland in 1988 and has served in the military for over 25 years.

According to his website, “ Kevin knows that the challenges our nation currently face are far graver than most truly know. He also knows it will take a bold plan and even bolder actions to secure our liberties and prosperity.”