In Russell House, a veteran still serves

You can typically see Jay Burnett, a supervisor for Sodexo commonly known as “Mr. Jay,” making sure Pandini’s is running smoothly. But a college kitchen hasn't always been his trade. In fact, Burnett is more well-traveled than an Italian chef.

Burnett joined the Army in 1974, immediately after he graduated from high school. He was 18 years old when he was sent to Vietnam for seven months as part of one of the last units sent to that destination. He then spent time in duty stations in California, Korea and Europe before going to Desert Storm for eight months.

He spent a total of 26 active years in the military, and is set to retire in August 2016 after four inactive years.

Burnett knew from a young age that this is what he wanted his life to look like, and he’s always wanted to be a solider.

“Kids grow up saying, ‘I want to be this, I want to be that,’” Burnett said. “[The Army] is something I wanted to do.”

Being a part of the military has become almost a family tradition. Burnett’s father spent 30 years in the Navy and one of Burnett’s four children spent eight years in the Air Force.

Burnett served in the infantry and helped with finance and civil affairs before deciding to work as a cook. He eventually became the dining facility manager in the Army.

His experiences in the military taught him discipline and respect in every aspect of his life.

“To me, these are the key things in life. You can’t have one without the other,” Burnett said. “I find a lot of young people today, I’m not criticizing them, but they could use more discipline today.”

When asked to recall his memories of the military, Burnett talked about his experiences being in a war zone and building a band of brothers.

“When you’re there, you understand you have a job to do and the job to do is to keep yourself alive,” Burnett said. “I lost guys, I lost friends, but I’m thankful I’m still here and that I might make my life worth their [lives].”

Burnett spoke fondly of his fellow war veterans, recalling how the last of his friends from Vietnam died three years ago.

“All veterans who have been in a war zone go through a lot, whether you see it or not,” Burnett said. “But we keep on getting up.”

The veteran came to Columbia hoping for a slower pace, and his work at Pandini’s is very different from his previous experiences in a war zone.

“That’s why I like coming to work everyday: to see young people,” Burnett said. “And I hope the best for [them]."

Burnett said he makes an effort to speak to the students when they come to eat at Pandini’s.

“A lot of them come through and I always have to get them to speak,” Burnett said. “I know a lot of them. I don’t know all of them by name, but I make sure I talk to them and they talk to me.”

He said his ultimate goal is to have a positive impact on the students he interacts with.

“I just want to put a smile on their face[s],” Burnett said. “I’ve seen them come in here test-worried, they’re all frizzled, and I say, ‘Calm down, it’s just another day.’”