Road trip: Hiking

With just a few more weeks of the semester, crunch time is upon us. And we can’t think of a better way to relax and get some fresh air than going for a hike. It’s the perfect time of year — the trees are shedding their beautifully-colored leaves, and the weather is practically begging us to come outside.

Just right down the road in Lexington, South Carolina  is a place called Peachtree Rock Heritage Preserve.  The nature reserve is filled with wildlife, plants and rocks. Follow the trail to find yourself under a small waterfall or climbing up to the top to see the creek.

The Preserve features a huge rock whose bottom layer eroded faster than its top, giving the rock its strange formation. It was formed by erosion when the Atlantic Ocean receded long ago. The Rock recently broke off of its base but still remains at the entrance of the park. 

Not entertained by gigantic historical rocks? Don't worry — the park also has walking trails great for biking, walking or running. Put your dog, cat or lizard on a leash and take them out. Or just grab some headphones and go for a run. Switch up the scenery and go someplace beautiful while the weather is still nice!

DIRECTIONS

From Russell House, 1400 Greene Street

Drive time: 29 minutes

Turn right onto Greene Street, then right onto Blossom Street

Continue onto US-176 E/US-21

Take a slight right onto SC-302/Airport Blvd

Follow SC-302 for around 10 miles

Turn left onto Boiling Springs Road

Take the second right onto Peachtree Rock Road

From the parking area, blue and orange markers lead you to the rock. Then, the single orange dots mark a 0.5 mile trail, and the single blue dots mark a 1.5 mile trail.

For GPS directions, use the following address: 883 Peachtree Rock Road, Lexington, SC, 29073.