USC asks students how best to communicate about sexual assault

USC is turning to students in an attempt to gauge understanding of the university reporting process and resources pertaining to sexual assault.

A link to an invitation to fill out the anonymous survey was sent to students in a weekly email Sunday night with details on the survey’s contents.

According to Communications Director Wes Hickman, the survey will run over the next few weeks, and the results will help determine how best to inform students of available resources and training programs.

Students in Lisa Sisk’s public relations course designed the survey, Hickman said, which questions students about words like “consent” and “bystander,” as well as campus programs like True Strength and GRIT.

Vice President of Student Affairs Dennis Pruitt said he has a foot-tall stack of articles about sexual assault on college campuses sitting on his desk; more pressing to him, however, is how best to keep USC’s campus safe.

“Is rape a crime?” Pruitt asked as he addressed student leaders about sexual assault Tuesday. “Yes, it is. Is rape a violation of campus standards? Yes, it is.”

The goal, according to Hickman, is to pinpoint the best method for reaching students before sending out pertinent information regarding preventative measures and treatment options.

In the coming weeks, Student Government officers are turning their attention to the It’s On Us sexual assault prevention campaign, and Hickman said a social media campaign to promote awareness is also on the horizon.

“That’s not to say there’s not more to do,” he said. “There’s always more to do.”