Swim & Dive heads to Virginia Tech Invitational

After two impressive wins for both the men’s and women’s teams at the last meet, the Gamecocks look to set the pace once again at Virginia Tech over the next few days at the H2Okies’ annual Fall Invitational.

The Gamecocks will face multiple opponents at this event including Villanova, Alabama, Ohio University, William and Mary, Liberty and Virginia Tech. The invitational spans three days, from Thursday through Saturday.

South Carolina has had more than a week to prepare and celebrate after beating both East Carolina and College of Charleston in a home meet  Nov. 8. These wins brought the men’s team to a record of 3-1 and the women to 5-1.

With a successful season so far, several standout Gamecocks seek to continue their excellence this weekend. Freshman Nils Wich-Glasen is undefeated in the 200-meter breaststroke so far this season and hopes to continue that at the Christiansburg Aquatic Center this weekend. Senior diver Cole Miller also has yet to face a loss in the three-meter springboard. On the women’s side, senior Victoria Mitchell is undefeated in the 1,000-meter freestyle. Junior Ellen Johnson has three wins in the 100-meter breaststroke this season, also.

Despite a good season so far, the opponents at the Virginia Tech Fall Invitational will be sure to put up some good competition against the Gamecocks this weekend. The H2Okie’s men’s team is 5-1 while the women are 6-2 on the season. William and Mary also boasts winning records for swim and dive, with a 4-2 men’s team and a 5-3 women’s. Liberty, although lacking a men’s team, also has a winning record of 6-2 on the women’s side.

The three-day affair will surely be a good one with so much talent coming from all sides, but the Gamecocks definitely have the ability to pick up the overall win.