​USC's request for additional state money could increase students

USC is asking state lawmakers for $51.3 million in new money for the Columbia campus for the upcoming year, according to The State.  The money could potentially raise the number of in-state students on the campus, which has already seen enrollment increase by 25 percent over the last 10 years.

The university is hoping to use $25 million of the money to renovate its law school building on Main Street after the new law school opens in 2017 so that the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sports Management can move from the Coliseum to the law school building.

Other money will go to additional faculty and staff and technology for expanding the Honors College and summer classes as well as information-technology improvements and upgrades to the South Caroliniana Library, which is now 174 years old.

According to the school’s chief financial officer, Leslie Brunelli,  USC is asking for more money from the state for projects because student tuition money is being used towards operations.

USC did not ask for state money for large projects this past year, instead asking for a "tuition timeout." Tuition still increased by three percent for the third consecutive year. USC is not planning to advocate for a "tuition timeout" this year.