In Brief: January 14th, 2015

First day of legislative session sees no bills, little debate

Jay Lucas of Hartsville, the new House Speaker, fulfilled his goal of commencing the House’s session at noon. Lt. Gov. Yancey McGill had his last day in office Tuesday and began the Senate’s session 15 minutes after the House, WIS reported.

Henry McMaster, the new lieutenant governor, as well as other statewide officials, will take the oath of office Wednesday.

While Tuesday marked the beginning of South Carolina’s legislative session, no bills were brought through committee, and there was little debate on the House and Senate floors. Rather, the first day was ceremonial and used as a means to prepare for the future.

In the coming months, lawmakers will discuss issues like road funding, ethics and education. The South Carolina’s legislative session will continue through early June.

Haley looks to focus on ethics, business, DSS in second term

Gov. Nikki Haley feels not much is different coming into her second term, she said in an interview with The State.

However, she said she does feel she needs to prove to the people they made a good decision, and she's ready to embrace the responsibilities of her office.

Haley outlined her plans for her new term, saying she will focus on ethics reform, education, the business climate, improving the Department of Social Services, creating training programs for the workforce and improving roads.

Speculations about Haley moving to a higher political office in 2016 have swirled, but she said she is highly committed to South Carolina, her next term in office and seeing through her plans on reform.

South Carolina’s education superintendent to bring big changes in education reform

South Carolina's Education Superintendent Molly Spearman's  main goal is to revise the state’s math and English standards and make it clear what students should be able to accomplish at each grade level, The State reported.

During the recession, Spearman said, lawmakers let education spending fall below the normal levels.

While it will take $600 million to catch up, Spearman is in support of Nikki Haley’s 2015 budget plan that will push for funding to allow schools to improve technology. Spearman  said she believes technology could help remove the disparity between rural and urban schools.

Spearman  also said she's committed to work with educators, business leaders and interest groups and that her alliance with Haley will help realize the education reform plan.