Benjamin speaks of "Columbia's promise" in the State of the City Address

Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin spoke of the city’s advancements in 2014 to a nearly full ballroom Tuesday night. Columbia has seen an extreme cut in total crime over the past four years, he said in the annual State of the City Address, and police salaries have been increased.

Ranging from expanded youth and city sports to extending full employment benefits to same-sex couples, the advancements Benjamin spoke of weren't just economic, but also community-based, as well.He talked about budget cut money being restored to the arts, "as promised." Benjamin assured the audience he would encourage arts and culture development within the Columbia and make the city “truly seamless” in nature.

"The state of our city isn't just strong, it’s explosive,” he said.

But his most important focus — his goal for the city — laid in the people of Columbia.

When it comes to the new year, Benjamin said that 2015 would be a time dedicated to the citizens of Columbia. He imagined a future where the people of Columbia could choose a better life, as he voiced his concerns about homelessness, poverty and wages in the city.Benjamin was adamant, saying he believes a person shouldn't work full time only to continue living in poverty — in 2015, he plans on raising the minimum wages for city employees to exceed the current $10.10 threshold.

"I ask you to help me fulfill Columbia's promise because right now in Columbia over 24 percent of our fellow citizens live in poverty and nearly a quarter of them are children," he said.

Benjamin recognized the poverty issue both within Columbia and across the state and urged the city to help him change it.

“Let us make this promise today — Columbia's Promise — that if you're willing to work hard, contribute to your community and respect others you deserve a quality education, a good job and a living wage," he said, "that your circumstance should not determine your success and that, regardless of whatever past sins you carry with you, if you're looking to change your life for the better, we will do everything within our power to help you reach your goals."

Benjamin urged the audience to stand with him on this platform to support the people of the city of Columbia through 2015 and beyond.

“One hundred and fifty years ago this city was burned to the ground. But we have risen from the ashes and we will continue to rise. Because we are a great city," Benjamin said. "We are Columbia. And our time is now."