Student Pulse: The Greene Street gate debate

Upperclassmen can remember a time when the Greene Street gates were open to through traffic, but for other USC students, the Greene Street gates have been closed for the entirety of their college career. With the recent debate surrounding the gates in student senate, The Daily Gamecock took to the streets to find out what some of our students think about the controversial topic.

Do you think the Greene Street gates should be open or closed? Why?

“Honestly there’s really no point in keeping them open because there’s no through traffic really going through anyway. So why keep it open if there’s no point to it?”

— Brandon Parker, third-year social work student

“Open! Well one, if you want to get to Russell House to grab something to eat real fast and if you have a buddy that can just wait in the car, you can get in the car and have someone drop you off. Plus, it’s really annoying. I go to like the business building a lot, so I could go straight through here. Right now I have to go all the way around Blossom, so it’s annoying.”

— Brett Battistini, fourth-year media arts student

“Closed all the time. I’m in ROTC and we run through here sometimes and it’s easier if we don’t have to worry about cars.”

— Evan Gantenberg, first-year mechanical engineering student

“Open, because it used to be like that. It used to be similar. I just don’t understand the whole thing. I just wish they were open the whole time. I think they’re worried that people are going to get hit, but that’s never happened, has it? Not in the middle of the day. I live on Greene Street, so I like having them open.”

— Morgan FitzGerald, fourth-year marketing and management student

“I like it closed, but I can understand opening it certain times for drivers. It feels more of like a community, a little bit in a way with it closed. It’s safety a little bit, too. More like a campus feel, I guess, with the gates.”

— Michelle Casey, first-year computer information sciences student