Lupe Fiasco hits artistic stride with new album

Lupe Fiasco is a changed man.

"Tetsuo & Youth," his first album since "Food and Liquor II" in 2012, came out Jan. 20.  As a whole, this album works together like gears in a clock — it starts out extremely lighthearted, but the music gets progressively more intense.

When listened to in order, it tells a story. “Tetsuo & Youth" is basically divided into four seasons, similar to Darren Aronofsky's film adaptation of "Requiem For A Dream." The album starts with the track “Summer,” then “Fall,” “Winter” and ends with “Spring” — each of these songs are lyric-less, with distinct sounds from each season: the splashing of a pool for “Summer,” the raking of leaves for “Fall,” and so on.

Aside from the four transitional tracks, every song has a unique element that makes the album flow magnificently and brings great elements to his rap songs. Powerful lyrics over beautifully orchestrated songs incorporate violin or saxophone with classic rap beats to tie the whole album together.

There are bits that seem unnecessary, such as the banjo intro to “Dots & Lines," but it pairs nicely with the quiet harmonica in the background throughout the track.

There’s something to love about every song, but “Mural” is definitely the most impressive on the album. With no refrain or hook, he raps nonstop for almost eight minutes straight.

Lupe Fiasco has always used personal, artistic elements to make his music stand out. The radio loved the album  "The Cool"  with songs like "Superstar," but he's come a long way. The artistic angle of "Tetsuo & Youth" is what he was going for all along.

He's spent over 15 years in the industry and he's tired of being told how to "do" music. If you don’t believe me, do some research on Fiasco’s beef with Atlantic Records when he released “Lasers."

This album is just as much for the fans as it is for himself. His lyrics are filled with personal anecdotes and focus on social politics, proving further that his rap career has taken a serious turn. It's as if Fiasco connected with a deeper part of himself, and "Tetsuo & Youth" is a personal work of art. After all, he painted the album artwork himself.