How to survive the Carolina Cup

Here in South Carolina, springtime doesn’t just mean great weather, unruly pollen and flip-flops. Around here, when the sunshine comes out, the horses come out. 

Being a South Carolinian, and being from one of the biggest horse towns in South Carolina, I’ve attended over 20 horse races in my life. With that said, believe me when I tell you a survival guide is necessary. Never been to a horse race? Here are a few tips to ensure you have the great time you're hoping for at the Carolina Cup.

1. Wear shoes and clothing that'll last the day. Yes, you look so fancy standing in front of your porch for pictures. But that track is made of dirt and you will be hot and sweaty, so don’t forget to dress accordingly. You may even want to bring extra clothes for the ride home.

2. Arrive early. This is the biggest event in Camden all year. Everyone will be there, and traffic sucks when you're sitting in line with a bunch of people who never sit in traffic.

3. Wear sunscreen, even if there are clouds. Especially on your face, because, no matter how good you look at the Carolina Cup, your raccoon eyes left over from your sunglasses won't.

4. Bring extra toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Horse races are port-a-potty central. There is not an endless amount of toilet paper and no sinks, so bring your own toiletries.

5. Use coozies and cups. Drinking at the Cup is, at this point, a tradition, but you can be tasteful about it. Don't carry around glass bottles and try to use the same cup throughout the day. 

6. Don’t slack on the food. It’s a long day. Carolina Cup is not a last minute destination. You need to plan to bring food that will last you throughout the day. It’s easy to want to skip it, thinking you are just there for the fun, but make sure you're getting some nutrition throughout the day or you'll find yourself begging for food at someone else's spot.

7. Don’t crank the music. This isn’t a football tailgate. Although you will be doing similar things, you can’t blast your music at a horse race. Don’t attract unnecessary attention to yourself. 

8. Drink water. That goes for the drinkers and the sober attendees alike. If you're lucky it'll be hot and sunny, so don't skimp on hydration. Your body will thank you later. 

9. Don’t forget about the horses! If you get the opportunity to watch the race, go watch the race. It’s a unique opportunity that doesn’t come around every day.