Marina and the Diamonds album refreshes with poignant lyrical content

Marina and the Diamonds released her third album, "Froot," on Monday, March 16.

While continuing to embrace her feminine persona, Welsh singer-songwriter, Marina Diamandis throws out her oversexualized lyrics and strays from her commercial pop tone to reveal her more intimate side in this new album.

In her last album in 2012, "Electra Heart," Diamandis paired with popular pop-culture songwriters such as Dr. Luke, who writes for Katy Perry, and Rick Nowels (who writes for Madonna), to create the overplayed, heartbreaking "Primadonna" that stays destroying the radio waves with pop pollution.

However in "Froot," Diamandis has toned it down to create a more personal and realistic album that shows the real Marina. All of the songs were written by Marina and just one co-producer, David Kosten. The lyrics came straight from her heart and experience to conjure the true spirit of Marina and the Diamonds.

Although her tone continues to resemble other popular pop artists such as Lana Del Rey, several of the songs in this album strive to make powerful statements, whether it be lyrical comparisons about finding happiness and love or describing her disappointment in relationships and mankind.

She starts her album off with the song “Happy,” stripped down to vocals and instrumentals layered with simple lyrics about love, optimism and peace. She leaves her sophomoric verses for reformed metaphors of dead flowers in a fruitful garden to represent the loveless relationships of her past in her song “Weeds.”

Diamandis also sings about more intense topics like domestic violence and the inevitable destruction of man through distrust. She writes about her wariness of men and the thriving rape culture that can be seen more and more frequently in the media today.

With the juvenile audience, Diamandis has generated from her past albums, Marina has the potential to stimulate younger generations to think deeply about sophisticated topics with an enlightening and new perspective.

Thanks to her more touching lyrics and sound change, it seems the Diamandis that captivated pop culture just three years ago has undergone a worthy makeover.