Guys4GX: USC Campus Recreation encourages males to engage in group exercise

Group Exercise (GX) is trying to “flip the script on fitness stereotypes” by encouraging men to attend free GX classes through their #Guys4GX program which is going on from March 23 through March 27.

According to Andrea Bruski, Campus Recreation’s fitness coordinator, despite the 75 classes they offer every week, the number of males in those classes is typically very low.

She attributes that to a combination of factors — some men think the workouts might be too easy, don’t match up with their fitness goals, or they “are embarrassed by being surrounded by girls who are used to doing that type of workout.”

Largely, Bruski believes it can be attributed to cultural stigma.

She acknowledged that they predominantly serve the female population on campus but she hopes that events such as Guys4GX week will encourage the male population to make their way onto the GX scene because the classes aren’t just tailored to women’s needs.

“The instructors make the classes with the idea in mind that anyone can do the workout,” she said. “As long as you’re pushing yourself to your limits, it’s going to be challenging for everybody."

The classes offer options, modifications and progressions to match the fitness levels of the participants.

“So far, this has been our second month doing the Guys4GX week,” Andrea Bruski, Campus Recreation’s fitness coordinator, said. “The first week we had around 30 males participate which I feel like it could be better, and this week could have a bigger number than we did last month.”

This is the first year they have tried the program. The second week of each month of this semester has been dedicated to the cause.

This week also hosts a competition — the males can post a picture of themselves at class or post-workout using the hashtags #Guys4GX and #uofscgroupx to win a prize. The winner is determined by the number of likes that the picture receives.

Eventually, Bruski hopes GX will be able to have equal male and female participation in their classes.

“I hope we can create an equal playing field where everyone feels welcome,” she said. “It’s open for anybody. No one should feel shy or ashamed or nervous about coming to class.”